Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen the advertisement in SportRider and other mags for the Alpha Gold Chains from Tsubaki?  Thinking of purchasing a set tomorrow.  Anything wrong with trying Tsubaki?  Supposed to be pre-stressed/pre-stretched, injected lube, blah, blah, blah.  Check out the link.  They're comparable price wise to DID and RK.  And I'm going to get the rivet master link versus the C clip as it seemed to be the choice from previous threads?  I will have to borrow rivet link tool from local shop.  Any experience with this chain mfg?

Tsubaki Alpha Gold

Edit: Gotta run, I'll check back in the morning. Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
No experience, but yes, don't mess around with the C clip type.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I've never used Tsubaki on a motorcycle, but used quite a bit of their stuff in industrial machinery. It was good quality, and I never had a problem with it...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
googolplexu : Quote Pre-stressed and pre-stretched to reduce initial chain adjustments and improve performance

What's wrong/funny with that statement?  Edit: Oh, are you talking about improving performance?

I'm ordering today, the ad in SportRider states some race teams use them, non-specific.  I gather they are a large industrial chain manufacturer (from their main web site) and now going towards the motorcycle market.  Not sure how long in the motorcycle market.  Anyone else see their ad that I'm talking about - 'ride with insurance'?

·
Registered
929 Posts
SuperDave :  What's wrong/funny with that statement?  Edit: Oh, are you talking about improving performance?
That is funny too, but I was mostly laughing at the part where they say the chain has been pre-streched. If you dont already know - a chain does not stretch, it wears at the pins and bearings.

I become leary of manufacturers who make falsified claims, and usually dont purchase their products.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Techno Voodoo......

Just to clear up a few terms...within the roller chain industry the term 'pre-stretched' is used interchangeably with the term 'pre-loaded' and means this:
What is meant by “pre-stretching or pre-loading” roller chain, why is it done, and is it important?

ANSWER: Following assembly, an initial load is applied to the chain, which is called a pre-load. This loading approximates the recommended maximum loading in service and is done to align the various chain components such as pins, bushings, and link plates. The benefit of pre-loading is that it helps greatly eliminate the initial elongation often found in “lesser” chains. Elimination of this initial elongation can increase the chains useable service life therefore pre-loading is very important. Diamond Chain Company pre-loads every standard and heavy series chain it manufacturers.

My point is that what you are discussing is a difference in terms....not a false claim.

Rest assured, Tsubaki is a quality company, they have the largest share in the world roller chain market, and chances are if you own a car with a timing chain it was made by them....

Their branded foray into the motorcycle world is a formality, as their bulk chain has been supplied on OEM stuff for years.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this sucks, placed my order and today they've emailed me that the chain is in stock but the masterlink is backordered until January? One little master link back ordered for 8-10 weeks? Canceled my order, looks like I'll go DID after all. It's not as if I'll be riding anytime soon, just want to see the products I buy and have them installed while I still remember buying them. Oh well.

·
Registered
759 Posts
SuperDave : Well this sucks, placed my order and today they've emailed me that the chain is in stock but the masterlink is backordered until January?  One little master link back ordered for 8-10 weeks?  Canceled my order, looks like I'll go DID after all.  It's not as if I'll be riding anytime soon, just want to see the products I buy and have them installed while I still remember buying them.  Oh well.
Oh I don't think so mister. You brought this subject up and it is now your duty to be the official .org guinea pig.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Bought one four yrs ago for another make/model though same size & links as on my 929 & when times comes I will put it on.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Skully : Quote (SuperDave @ Nov. 14 2003, 12:13pm)Well this sucks, placed my order and today they've emailed me that the chain is in stock but the masterlink is backordered until January?  One little master link back ordered for 8-10 weeks?  Canceled my order, looks like I'll go DID after all.  It's not as if I'll be riding anytime soon, just want to see the products I buy and have them installed while I still remember buying them.  Oh well.
Oh I don't think so mister.  You brought this subject up and it is now your duty to be the official .org guinea pig.

OK,OK,OK!!! I found another dealer that sells them and I'm calling them today. It is my destiny to install this chain - that I can't even pronounce!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
SuperDave : It is my destiny to install this chain - that I can't even pronounce!  
Soobockee...

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Baketech : Techno Voodoo......

Just to clear up a few terms...within the roller chain industry the term 'pre-stretched' is used interchangeably with the term 'pre-loaded' and means this:
What is meant by “pre-stretching or pre-loading” roller chain, why is it done, and is it important?

ANSWER: Following assembly, an initial load is applied to the chain, which is called a pre-load. This loading approximates the recommended maximum loading in service and is done to align the various chain components such as pins, bushings, and link plates. The benefit of pre-loading is that it helps greatly eliminate the initial elongation often found in “lesser” chains. Elimination of this initial elongation can increase the chains useable service life therefore pre-loading is very important. Diamond Chain Company pre-loads every standard and heavy series chain it manufacturers.
My point is that what you are discussing is a difference in terms....not a false claim.

Rest assured, Tsubaki is a quality company, they have the largest share in the world roller chain market, and chances are if you own a car with a timing chain it was made by them....

Their branded foray into the motorcycle world is a formality, as their bulk chain has been supplied on OEM stuff for years.
You're arguing with a mechanic, don't you know any better?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Bake - great info - thanks! I have read statements of chains 'stretching' in the past, and associated this as being the same. Obviously I was incorrect. Thanks for making me wiser.

ND- 'possessing mechanical skills' and claiming to 'know everything' are two different things. I have NEVER made claim or insinuated to the latter statement. Your constant jabs are inept and lacking of humor (if that happens to be your goal).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts