Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you remove the heat shield? I left mine on and it looks like crap with their undertail installed. There's a little piece of black plastic with only one mounting screw. I'm thinking the black piece and heat shield should come off and just the undertail and exhaust exposed in the rear. Anyone have any pics
of theirs? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't have one, but on the Jardine site, it looks like they completely remove the heat shield. My only concern is does the plastic melt with no shield?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have one, but on the Jardine site, it looks like they completely remove the heat shield. My only concern is does the plastic melt with no shield?
That was my take too. What I did....a PITA... was take the shield out, then
cut about 6 inches from the tail edge, sand it down and placed it back. While the six inches is removed from the rear, it looks as if enough air moves through there. It really makes the back look so much nicer yet keep most of the shielding in place to protect other stuff. The whole thing took longer than I anticipated. I had to remove the upper part of the exhaust to get the shield to come out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm about install a fender eliminator on my 06 RR and was wondering how difficult it is to reinstall the rear tails section...I have heard stories of tails crakcing in re-assembly...any comments?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have had the tail of my 06 off 4-5 times so far
its a little scary bending the plastic out to get it to clear but the idea is to go slow and only bend it as much as it needs

as far as the heatshield
get rid of it
especially with an aftermarket exhaust that is carbon fiber or titanium

with my Arata Ti I took off the shield beside my leg and the shield under the tail

for the tail i used the Cool-It adhesive backed thermal sheets and covered the entire undertray
i then used hi temp black spray paint to turn the silver tape black
for the plastic exhaust guard i did the same thing
i put the Cool-It heat tape behind it and then spray painted the tape black.
All you have to do is make a small bracket to mount the plastic shield to the frame without the metal shield
check out Honda CBR1000RR Tech
it has a brake upgrade write up that shows how to get rid of the leg heat shield and then the arata ti write up shows the cool it tape so you can get rid of the exhaust shield

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks...I am about to install a customwerks fender elimator kit...so do you have a Jardine carbon fiber full system?..I am concerned about all the heating issues and plastics melting I keep reading about. Any comments?

My 06 is blue/yellow..I thought I'd pic a color cars can't miss..lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
no i have an arata system
and I have never seen on any site about plastic melting

sometimes you have to trim it for a full

how much HP is the jardine supposed to give btw

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm pretty new to all this...I've only been riding for about a month and I have logged about 1400 miles....I too live in SA!!
I was told that the Jardine may add anywhere from 6-10HP...but I am just looking for ashtetic look for the tail section...anything extra is great. So I havn't purchased one yet...I am researching all avenues first before making a commitment...Jardine's pig nose carbon fiber looks pretty good.

Where do you reccomment riding?...I usually take the Medina,Bandera, Helotes route.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
I'm pretty new to all this...I've only been riding for about a month and I have logged about 1400 miles....I too live in SA!!
I was told that the Jardine may add anywhere from 6-10HP...but I am just looking for ashtetic look for the tail section...anything extra is great. So I havn't purchased one yet...I am researching all avenues first before making a commitment...Jardine's pig nose carbon fiber looks pretty good.

Where do you reccomment riding?...I usually take the Medina,Bandera, Helotes route.

I don't mean to be an ass but thats a big bike for a beginner. be careful out there. worry about the aesthetics and extra performance later. get some more miles under your belt (as many as you can). improved skills help more than an improved bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts