Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's this one issue that's been bugging me about my 2013. The chain is unusually loud. I had a 2012 before this and never noticed it to be a problem. I had the dealer look at it and ride it and they said they "can hear the rollers of the chain" when riding but that it's "Normal chain noise". When I had my bike dyno'd yesterday I had the tuner listen for the noise and he said its the chain and that it seems to be a loudER chain, comparatively.

- when I'm passing a divider or wall on the highway I hear it the most...or when passing a car.
- seems to be throttle related. Mostly heard when giving throttle.
- when I'm not riding near a wall or divider, if I turn my head and duck down to the chain area, it's heard. Otherwise I can't hear it in normal riding position.
- I've tried all sorts of lubes and waxes...nothing works.
- it's been properly adjusted 3x. Even had my tuner adjust it for good measure.
- bike has 1500 miles

Is there anyone else with a newer 1kkrr that's noticed this? It's driving me crazy and I don't know what else to do to quite down the noise. No other bike of mine has done this, not even my previous 2012 1krr which is identical to this bike.

I honestly forgot if I wiped off the factory grease on the chain that's supposed to prevent rusting when I bought the bike. If I did happen to that, could that be the reason for the noisy chain? I don't think it should especially since I lubed it very well since then.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Its an unusually long chain, bound to make more noise. Make sure its correctly adjusted and that its side play isn't excessive. What make of chain?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
It's under warranty. If you're concerned go to the dealer and get them to check it out in person. Better than trying to describe a sound over the internet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its an unusually long chain, bound to make more noise. Make sure its correctly adjusted and that its side play isn't excessive. What make of chain?
It's the oem chain. It's been correctly adjuste several times.

It's under warranty. If you're concerned go to the dealer and get them to check it out in person. Better than trying to describe a sound over the internet.
As th initial post says, it was taken to th dealer and they confirmed it to be normal. But the reason this is bothering me is because my previous 2012 didn't make this noise and even my dyno tuner agreed its on the loud side.

So I just want to see who else with a newer 1k noticed this

1 - 4 of 4 Posts