Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all started hearing a noise on my 97 900rr today thought it was a timing chain rattle been looking for a chance to do my ape tensioner anyway just wanted to know if the way I done it was ok I removed the stock cct cleaned the surface put the ape in hand tightened it until I felt the guide loosened it a 1\4 turn started bike and tightened it until the rattle stopped then went another 1\8 turn and locked it down is this ok? Thnx everyone

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Is that what APE says to do?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Lol he typed exact directions from package it sounds like.
Should be okay. From description of how you did it should be fine.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Watched a video where a guy went 1/2 turn after the rattling stopped, but I would follow APE's instructions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought mine from fleabay the instructions. Wanted me to remove the valve cover to install I will check it per the instructions when I do my valve adjustment in the next few weeks just wanted to make sure the way I done it for now is ok

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Don't see why need remove valve cover?
Your only putting small amount pressure on chain when tightening it. 1/4 to half turn after noise stops should be just fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok guess its not the chain its a noise I only hear when in gear up around 4k and let off throttle it is like a rattling around the chain clutch area anybody have any ideas

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
ok guess its not the chain its a noise I only hear when in gear up around 4k and let off throttle it is like a rattling around the chain clutch area anybody have any ideas
That's the cam chain. Adjust the tensioner until you don't hear the rattle any more, then back it off 1/4 turn and lock it in place. That's all you need to do.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will it hurt to ride it like this I am out on it today might ride 100-125 miles today do I need to turn around

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok I decided to go home and tighten it I went 1/3 turns at a time riding each time noise got. Quieter but never went away I felt the guide go tight against the chain and said that's too far I mean like tight against chain and backed it off a half turn and locked it down still hearing rattle but not as loud what to do now

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Maybe the chain in worn. Whats the mileage of the bike? Sometimes people hear slight rattles from clutch basket area

1 - 12 of 12 Posts