Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
These guys are a legit company. They are a few local brothers that are big into the snowmobile scene here. They are also dirt riders. It is possible they bought a bunch of the Hayden replicas from some warehouse and are selling them through their site.
It would take me all of fifteen minutes to drive by their place and check them out.
I just may do that on Monday.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Arai did stop internet sales of their helmets, as far as I know. Like BDA said, these guys may have just bought a lot of Hayden reps (seems to be the only one they have) and are selling them off. I would just want to know how old they are prior to purchasing. Although I think the Hayden reps (some of them) are fairly new, these helmets could already be a few years old.

·
Registered
551 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
Although I think the Hayden reps (some of them) are fairly new, these helmets could already be a few years old.
They are Corsair models, so they can't be any more than 2 years old? :idunno:

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
mr_rua said:
They are Corsair models, so they can't be any more than 2 years old? :idunno:
Yup, probably the case. Still, when I buy a new helmet, I don't want it to be any more than 6 months old. That's just me. Still, if you figure how much per year the helmet is costing you (I replace mine every 5 years), a two year old helmet for that price is just an ok deal, nothing spectacular. Still comes out to about $120-$140 per year.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ok, now the web site came up for me. I just bought an RX7 Corsair Hayden replica from an ebay dealer for a similar price. It arrived last week. It's new, perfect, fits great. This model appears in Arai's 2005 model lineup .PDF. I'm not concerned that it may have sat on a shelf for a while before it was sold. I can hardly see it being worse for sitting there in a box. It's still a top quality helmet, built with state of the art materials. The very same helmet would cost more than twice as much if purchased from a dealership. Not that I would ever pay $700 for a helmet, when there are excellent ones for under $200.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Northy said:
I thought Arai had something against their helmets being sold on the web?
This is the only problem I have with Arai. Great helmets, idiotic sales policy on their behalf.

1. Getting custom fitted by a dealer is a joke, you pick out your helmet and they take your cash. I can change my own cheek pads thank you.

2. I've found that typical dealerships around here know less about these things than I do and that's pretty sad. Had a face shield problem that two dealers (was stopping in there anyway..) had no idea how to deal with. One phone call to Arai and the problem was fixed by me w/ the help of a very nice lady at Arai.

3. You can still buy them on the web all day long.

Seems to me this new "strategy" is in place to protect the dealer more than the customer. If Arai is concerned more about their dealers then they are their loyal customers I may not be a customer for very much longer.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Zippy said:
Ok, now the web site came up for me. I just bought an RX7 Corsair Hayden replica from an ebay dealer for a similar price. It arrived last week. It's new, perfect, fits great. This model appears in Arai's 2005 model lineup .PDF. I'm not concerned that it may have sat on a shelf for a while before it was sold. I can hardly see it being worse for sitting there in a box. It's still a top quality helmet, built with state of the art materials. The very same helmet would cost more than twice as much if purchased from a dealership. Not that I would ever pay $700 for a helmet, when there are excellent ones for under $200.

I think what HondaGal was trying to point out is that most tracks will not let you use a helmet that is more than 5 years old. If you ride the track getting a 2 year old helmet (even if it's brand new) means that you'll only be able to use it for 3 more years (I think?). If you look at it from this perspective then it's not as good of a bargain.

This brings up another question about the 5 year rule on helmets in general and tracks. Does the 5 year thing start from date of manufacture or date of purchase? If it starts from date of purchase then I guess it really doesn't matter how long the helmet sat on a shelf for??

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Scratch said:
I think what HondaGal was trying to point out is that most tracks will not let you use a helmet that is more than 5 years old. If you ride the track getting a 2 year old helmet (even if it's brand new) means that you'll only be able to use it for 3 more years (I think?). If you look at it from this perspective then it's not as good of a bargain.

This brings up another question about the 5 year rule on helmets in general and tracks. Does the 5 year thing start from date of manufacture or date of purchase? If it starts from date of purchase then I guess it really doesn't matter how long the helmet sat on a shelf for??
Yup, that's what I was pointing out. And, the 5 year countdown for track use starts with the date of manufacture, not the date you purchased it. Even if it's new sitting on a shelf somewhere, the styrofoam inside starts to dry out.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Scout said:
Urban Legend :evilaugh:
Not so legendary. :nono:

I like how the mediums and larges are $10 more expensive in the fine print. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nhfirefighter13 said:
Not so legendary. :nono:

I like how the mediums and larges are $10 more expensive in the fine print. :rolleyes:
I think the price premium is only on the Black model.

I just sent them an email inquiring about the model year of the Corsair helmets. If they're current models I'll have a new lid.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
It's still easy to purchase Arai over the phone or web....but you are usually going to pay full boat for a current model year helmet.

I think the Arai "web ban" was more of a way to keep retailers from conducting advertised pricing wars on the net. Keeps their pricing structure more secure, and reduces public discounting.... :twocents:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Zippy said:
You should care if the helmet has been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years. The construction materials are in a constant state of decay once they are manufactured and all of the standards organizations have adopted a blanket recommendation of a 5 year life for helmets to maintain their original specifications. You can find the date of manufacture inside the lining or possibly on the strap. You may be surprised . . .

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
abtech said:
You should care if the helmet has been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years. The construction materials are in a constant state of decay once they are manufactured and all of the standards organizations have adopted a blanket recommendation of a 5 year life for helmets to maintain their original specifications. You can find the date of manufacture inside the lining or possible on the strap. You may be surprised . . .
:thumb:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I want one of those helmets!
Abtech, would you (or anyone else) recommend anything else for under $400? I've been watching this thread since it started. I need a new lid, I'm trying to get a quality helmet for a decent price... i loved my Quantum F, so i was going stick w/ Arai but i'm not set in my ways..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts