Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent2 days at the northmost track in Norway.  The track was fantastic, the weather was fantastic and we had a lot of fun. We were riding from 10:00 to 22:00 each day, so I was exhausted afterwards.

The Blade worked very well.  I was using Supecorsas SC1 fronts and SC2 190/55 rears.  Went through 2 set of tyres during the weekend.

Take a look at  one lap (1:42.0) here.

My best lap (on video, did not time any laps) was 1:42.0.  Not bad for the first time at the track, and fastest in my group (street bikes).

The fastest guy in the race group did a 1:38,0.  

The track record is 1:31 (Superbike) and the length of the track is 3,753m.

·
Registered
692 Posts
COOL!!! Haven't looked at the vid just yet, but I will!

Who arranged the trackday? Do you know if there will be more trackdays at Arctic Circle Raceway this summer?

Greetings from Oslo!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just checked out the vid! Looking very good!! Smooth...

Looks like you got quite surprised when the peg touched down..?

I know I would not be able to ride that fast, but it would be great to test my 929 on a track one day..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote Who arranged the trackday?

I did. Together with a guy from Spinnin' Wheel. NMK Rana was responsible for the race-training, marshalls, first aid, etc.

Quote Do you know if there will be more trackdays at Arctic Circle Raceway this summer?

Sorry, I don't have a clue. Maybe you could contact NMK Rana?

Cheers!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote Looks like you got quite surprised when the peg touched down..?
Actually I didn't have time to be surprised, but the bike lost traction for a short while (both front and rear). Moved .5 to 1m sideways! Don't think I lost much time on that incident though...

·
Registered
692 Posts
Scary.... Indeed!!! I hadn't lost traction on any wheels until last sunday. A righthand corner doing maybe 120km/h and the rear wheel spun up while powering out of the corner. I found this really frightening. Considering changing tires now. Still on stock Michelin Sports..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From my experience the Michelin Pilot Sport have close to zero feedback and let go really violantly, so I will consider you lucky that you didn't loose the front with thoose tyres.

I would recommend Pirelli Diablo, Metzeler Sportec M1 or Bridgestone BT-012SS if you ride mainly street.  They are all great tyres, and so are the Dunlop D207/D208 RR.  I tend to like tyres with a neutral turn in and lots of feedback.

·
Registered
692 Posts
How many people attended the track event?

Could you please give a rough estimate of what those two days cost you? $ or NOK

Big for you for arranging (i'm sure) two great days of trackday fun!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The budget was between 65,000 and 70,000 NOK (approx 10,000 USD). We were only about 35 riders in total, so the cost per rider was just over 2,000 NOK since this was a non-profit event.

We could easily been twice the number of riders, but ACR is 1050km away from Oslo.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Wauu! That sounds like a really great deal if you ask me... I would love to be notified next time...

I have tried the BT010's on previous bikes I have owned, and i liked them. I ride quite a few km's per month so wear rate is allmost as important as grip. Do you know if the 012's wear much faster than the 010's?

I'm dreaming of a tire with a hard middle and lot's of grip for fun in the 'twisties' (les Skaret veien eller langs østsiden av randsfjorden hvis du er Norsk : ) on the sides..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my experience the BT-012SS lasts longer than the BT-010 on track. I'm not sure if they will last longer or shorter on the road, but I don't think the differnce will be that big.

Yes I am Norwegian, but I don't know Skaret. Randsfjorden I hive ridden a couple of times.

My favourite road 'circuits' are mainly south and east of Oslo (Kolbotn-Nesodden-Drøbak-Son-Moss-Enebakk-Kobotn, Kolbotn-Fetsund-Bjørkelangen-Løken-Mysen-Moss..., Holtet, etc)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Cool vid Abs,

I feel a bit sorry I stayed in Finland. The weather was killing us over the weekend, but I managed to get two track days by following the weather radar and changing location accordingly (drove arount 2100 km in 4 days, about 400 in the tracks); one in Kemora Circuit and another in Alastaro circuit. We were supposed to run third track Motopark but the weather forecast for that area looked pretty bad so we skipped it. I was running OEM BT012, held just fine in my speed until I tried to follow (a stock, I thought then) A GSX-R 1000K3 (the latest and coolest). A few corners I followed just fine but then a near-highside bought me back to earth. Later in the pitlane I learned that driver was an owner of a bike tuning center and that the gixxer had been 'slightly' tuned (slipper clutch, Yoshi Full system, reprogrammed ECU, magnesium wheels, WP racing shock...). And to be honest a faster and more experienced man was driving it. Anyway, cool to hear you had a blast, we had too despite the weather. And keep us posted about such events in the future, I'll be running local tracks so much in upcoming weeks that some variation would also be welcome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll keep you informed about future events. We will arrange a similar trip next year. So far we have been to Nurburgring (4 times), Anderstorp (3 times) and Rudskogen more times than I care to think about.

We have been thinking about Finland next year. How much do you think it will cost to rent Motopark for a couple of days?

Personally I am going to Rudskogen tomorrow (organised track evening) and Monday (private event), as well as Karskoga on Saturday July 5th.

There are open events on Rudskogen 15.08, 20.08, 05.09 and 10.09 from 17:00 to 21:00. But to be frankly, it's not worth a ride over from Finland as the track is only 1910m long and quite twisty.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'll be going to Motopark for weekend in July 4th; I'll talk with the owner (John Tuuli, himself among top three supersport-racers in Finland). If you want the track for a weekend you need to move very early in the winter/spring as weekends get booked quite early. I'm not quite sure about pricing of Motopark, but for example Botniaring is 555 eur / day (track rental only) in weekdays and around 700 eur / day for weekends. Of course if you want ambulance etc it will cost you more. I'll let you know when I know more.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Abs,

You mentioned you're running 190/55 Supercorsas. Have you had any clearance issues with swingarm or hugger? What gearing are you running (meaning in this context how is your rear axle positioned). I'm sending an order for new pile of tires any day now and I might give 190/55 a try if there aren't any issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tnarinen,

I have been running both Supercorsa 190/55 and BT-001R 190/55 with no issues at all on the 954.

Last year I used the stock chain and a 15/42 gearing, but I'm currently using an Afam 520 chain with 15/43 gearing. I guess I have about 2-3 cm of clearence.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts