Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering replacing my clutch before it becomes a problem. My 929 has 18,000 miles and runs great. I was just wondering what clutch plates people are using besides the OEM ones. I know not to use the Barnett clutch kit and was wondering if anyone here has used the EBC clutch plates? :idunno:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Your best bet is to use OEM plates and upgrade to Barnett HD springs.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Serious size issues with the plate tangs being thinner and less wide than the basket was designed for. The plates dig into the basket until they create a ridge and can no longer move freely. Very expensive ($500.00+) to repair once the clutch goes south . . .

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
abtech said:
Serious size issues with the plate tangs being thinner and less wide than the basket was designed for. The plates dig into the basket until they create a ridge and can no longer move freely. Very expensive ($500.00+) to repair once the clutch goes south . . .
that sounds like a terrible design

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
CBR929RE said:
that sounds like a terrible design
It's just that they make basically the same plates for all the bikes and don't machine them to exactly the correct size for every application.

I have seen more than a few racers with Honda RS250s eat the clutch basket within 10 laps (even though they never use the clutch). The engine load just keeps smacking the edge of the basket with the clutch tangs until they "leave their mark" . . .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts