Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi lads, the front discs are either warped or bent as i can feel a bit of a judder when im braking, is it dangerous to ride the bike this way or is it just annoying, when not under breaking the bike is level and true. thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
hi lads, the front discs are either warped or bent as i can feel a bit of a judder when im braking, is it dangerous to ride the bike this way or is it just annoying, when not under breaking the bike is level and true. thanks

Judder could be due to other things though. Have you actually checked if the discs are straight?
Not really dangerous. The main problem is that the discs will knock the pads back into the calipers so it's possible you might have to pump the lever a couple of times if you haven't used the brakes for a while. My 929 has badly warped discs but I race it just fine. On the road it does get annoying though.
Full floating discs for racing have the same problem, they float so much they knock the pads back which reduces brake drag but can give you a fright when you grab them, especially if the bars have been flapping out of the previous corner :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a similar issue. My whole front end shakes when I apply th brakes going over 65mph. I can actually c th whole wheel shaking. Would improper installation of th wheel cause this? Or other thoughts? Don't mean to jack th thread.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a similar issue. My whole front end shakes when I apply th brakes going over 65mph. I can actually c th whole wheel shaking. Would improper installation of th wheel cause this? Or other thoughts? Don't mean to jack th thread.
My 954 had this problem (heavy breaking from high speeds) and it was the discs. I doubt that you have installed the wheel incorrectly.

Simon

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanx r15suk u pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. I'll jus get replacements as I need to replace th rear rotor anyway.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

Did anything happen to the bike shortly before you noticed this?
Is the wheel in the right way around?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Did anything happen to the bike shortly before you noticed this?
Is the wheel in the right way around?
I bought th bike not running. It had been parked for a year. I had to bring it up to riding conditions so th shaking came from th get go. I replaced th pads and th wheel is spinning in th right direction. I have no issues while riding. I've gone up to 150mph and th ride is so smooth. It only happens when I apply th brakes at high speeds. One thing I remember now is when my dad n I were installing th tire onto th rim, he used a pry bar and I noticed he was using th rotor as leverage and I saw th rotor give way. That's prob what caused th disks to b warped...more like bent. It jus hadn't clicked till now. Could that b it?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I bought th bike not running. It had been parked for a year. I had to bring it up to riding conditions so th shaking came from th get go. I replaced th pads and th wheel is spinning in th right direction. I have no issues while riding. I've gone up to 150mph and th ride is so smooth. It only happens when I apply th brakes at high speeds. One thing I remember now is when my dad n I were installing th tire onto th rim, he used a pry bar and I noticed he was using th rotor as leverage and I saw th rotor give way. That's prob what caused th disks to b warped...more like bent. It jus hadn't clicked till now. Could that b it?

Warped is from heat and is virtually unstraightenable.
Bent is bent from external force and is usually fixable.
However, using them for leverage when removing the tyre would be a lot of force indeed.
Spin the wheel and see if it's dragging against the pads.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Warped is from heat and is virtually unstraightenable.
Bent is bent from external force and is usually fixable.
However, using them for leverage when removing the tyre would be a lot of force indeed.
Spin the wheel and see if it's dragging against the pads.
I'll give it a check this weekend and post what I find.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
easiest thing to do. is undo the calipers from their mounts, spin the wheel and look at the discs, you will see if they are straight or bent/warped

·
Registered
316 Posts
I went to a local bike tire shop to get a quote for some new rotors. Th mechanic takes a look, adjusts th brake lever. I go for a spin an th vibration is virtually gone. What he told me was that I was "over pressurizing" th system and also having floating brakes will cause some vibration. He said my rotors were fine. Man I felt like an idiot. Live n learn huh.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I went to a local bike tire shop to get a quote for some new rotors. Th mechanic takes a look, adjusts th brake lever. I go for a spin an th vibration is virtually gone. What he told me was that I was "over pressurizing" th system and also having floating brakes will cause some vibration. He said my rotors were fine. Man I felt like an idiot. Live n learn huh.
How did he adjust the brake lever? Do you mean the span adjusters (the dial on the lever).

Cheers
Simon

·
Registered
112 Posts
My wheel/rotors have a 1/4 inch wobble to them, how much feel should I expect in lever. I havent ridden the bike yet just building it now.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
My wheel/rotors have a 1/4 inch wobble to them, how much feel should I expect in lever. I havent ridden the bike yet just building it now.

If you have a quarter-inch of movement in the wheel or the discs you need to find out what is wrong.
What sort of bike is it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts