Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I am going to look at some houses i am interested in. I know where a century 21 office is off the bat. If i go in there and talk to them and they take me to some houses, do I have to stick with them? a Co-worker is finishing his real estate classes in april and was thinking i could give him the oppurtunity to get some experience with a sale. I am not sure when I will be able to buy, could be april, or could be aug.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tomorrow I am going to look at some houses i am interested in. I know where a century 21 office is off the bat. If i go in there and talk to them and they take me to some houses, do I have to stick with them? a Co-worker is finishing his real estate classes in april and was thinking i could give him the oppurtunity to get some experience with a sale. I am not sure when I will be able to buy, could be april, or could be aug.
You are not if you are a buyer. If you are a seller, then you typically sign a contract stating you will not change the selling agent for x number of days. X is usually something like 90 days. If you are a buyer, you could have a different agent for every house you went and looked at if you wanted.

·
Banned
4,696 Posts
an agent is just there to assist you in buying, you are not obligated. you dont even have to have one to buy. i purchased my house with out an agent.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

We went thru a bunch until we found one we liked. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Real estate agent: sure, you can shop around, just watch out for a purchase exclusivity clause in any pre-purchase contracts, and look out for "brokers".

In almost all states, if you go through a "broker," that broker is due a quantum meruit (earned amount) value for the amount of work they did in finding a place for you, if they alerted you to the listing. You are allowed to purchase through any agent/broker, but if there is a fee to be had, the first-in-time rule applies, and the first broker to show you the place gets the fee (Of course, the selling broker is going to want it too, so...OUCH!).

This is because with MLS (multiple listing service) all agents/brokers have access to nearly all of the listings. There are exceptions, like when sellers hire an exclusive broker or agent, but almost all the stuff is on the open market.

Feel free to browse online, or go to open houses until your contact is licensed, if you want to throw him some business, just to steer clear of any problems. The real estate market is slowing down a bit, so competition is getting heated again. The specific rules are available on your home-state's web page.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts