Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shifting sucks. But sometimes it is right on. A buddy of mine mentioned to lift the leg, instead of tilting the toe up. I go with the squeeze cluch, roll off throttle partially and shift.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm a violent shifter - sometimes slamming my foot up to hard.
I've adjusted my clutch lever so I use minimal pressure to engauge the clutch to help me out, but has helped little.

I'm thinking of doing the reverse (GP) shift mod. I rode my friends RC-51 with reverse (GP) shift and I loved it!  - the shifting that is, not the RC.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm a smooth shifter. I've found that it really helps to preload the shift lever prior to shifting, and release it only after the deed is done.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Joel : I'm a smooth shifter.  I've found that it really helps to preload the shift lever prior to shifting, and release it only after the deed is done.
yup what he said

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes. Pre-load the lever. Try it without the clutch. While at moderate rpm (4-6K) apply upward force on the lever. Shut the throttle completely off and the lever will click up. Then roll on the throttle. It's a thing of beauty. With the clutch is the same-just takes a fraction longer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Joel : I'm a smooth shifter.  I've found that it really helps to preload the shift lever prior to shifting, and release it only after the deed is done.
And cluthless after 1st...>2nd

I just roll off the throttle very slightly, to release the gear tension, then roll on. If you roll the throttle all the way off ,your reloading the gears and thats when you can damage the gearbox.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By lifting leg up I mean, instead of just curling the toes up to shift, I kind of do this knee jab, which is more tiring, but more effective. I think the main issue that I am having is that, I am doing everything off. Sometimes my feet move faster than my heads, therefore shifting before I Even finish the squeeze or rolling off the throttle.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Jason Pridmore tells his students about a technique you can practice on the road.  If you are smooth with everything, you should be able to downshift on the freeway without even feeling it.  Just start focusing on what you are doing and work on the technique.  Keep the speed the same, shift smooth and work the clutch and throttle.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Right. Instinctive, accurate rev-matching is very important. Like LTL said, try going down the highway, work through the gears, up, down, up, etc, while keeping your speed the same. Also, if it takes that much effort to engage the shifter, either do the GP mod, or lower your lever about a tooth or more.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
clutchless shifts when done properly are smooth as silk, you notice it more when you have a passenger on the back, they do not move anywhere near as much

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I like to pin the throttle between shifts for a 1-2 second pause with the clutch disengaged before changing gears...

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
The rev limiter does make for a good 'quick shifter'.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
luvtolean : The rev limiter does make for a good 'quick shifter'.
Dont know if your joking, but the kill button makes a pretty darn good poormans quickshifter on the YSR and my 125/80, preload the shifter, tap the kill button and bingo, instant shift, no clutch, no moving the throttle.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
i'm usually pretty smooth, can shift from 1st to 2nd around any corner and make it feel like it was in 2nd all along - except for the change in engine noise and the needle on the tach...

Z...

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
yep, pretty much any revs - I like to practice with a passenger on back - it's mor enoticeable when you screw up so I work harder to shift smooth. I don't get it right 100% of the time, but I'd say I'm at about 85% at the moment.

I am trying to learn to be 'smooth' in all areas, shifting is one of the areas I get to practice whil eI don't have a bike (I ride my girlfriends bike when we go to the movies)

Z...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts