Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i started a new job back in July, and since day 1 I've been turning up half hour early, and working through my hour long lunch break. Since starting there I've taken a lunch break ONCE. So today I was asked to sign my timesheets, and I noticed that last week I've been docked pay for swiping out of work ONE minute early. When I questioned this, my boss (who's an accountant, not an IT person) said that when I turn up early, it's for MY benefit, not theirs. I pointed out that I'm doing an extra 7.5 hours a week of work above and beyond, and all I got was "you're not getting around me on this".

Am I wrong in thinking that he's being a prick for docking my pay for being one minute early swiping out, when I've been putting in an extra 7.5 hours PER WEEK since July????

****ing bean counters. :rant:

·
Registered
316 Posts
So i started a new job back in July, and since day 1 I've been turning up half hour early, and working through my hour long lunch break. Since starting there I've taken a lunch break ONCE. So today I was asked to sign my timesheets, and I noticed that last week I've been docked pay for swiping out of work ONE minute early. When I questioned this, my boss (who's an accountant, not an IT person) said that when I turn up early, it's for MY benefit, not theirs. I pointed out that I'm doing an extra 7.5 hours a week of work above and beyond, and all I got was "you're not getting around me on this".

Am I wrong in thinking that he's being a prick for docking my pay for being one minute early swiping out, when I've been putting in an extra 7.5 hours PER WEEK since July????

he is indeed do you have a HR department? or a union member?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah we have an HR manager. But you know what .... he's dealt the burning cards, he can play them. If he's more concerned with a single minute over 7.5 hours a week, so be it. Less work for me :thumb:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Never give more than you have to...unless you're self employed getting to work early, staying late and working through YOUR lunch helps no one but the COMPANY. Will you see a benefit? From the sounds of it you didn't and you won't.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

I work 12 hour shifts, 730-730.. day and night shifts... Got to love shift work.

I can show up at 630.. but if I leave at 727... I get docked half an hour, or that is how it is supposed to work. Other people with the same company as me, have been getting docked.

Do I care? Not really... Want to know why? Because the other contracting companies, used to get away with charging for 12 hours, when their guys would only be there for 11.

Just stop coming in early.. And start taking your lunch breaks. Doing what you are doing, rarely gets you farther.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing from now on. If an issue comes up outside of 9-5, it'll be "My boss said working outside of those hours is for my benefit not the company's, so as I'm here to benefit the company I'll fix it tomorrow" :thumb:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I start work at 5am. Work only 3miles away. Leave shortly before 4:30 but not for the companies benefit. I like to cruise around the open roads with minimal traffic :)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
OK, here it comes.....

If you have your hand in the doggy's mouth you say "Good Doggy".

You will never win the fight. Clock in when expected because you are the only one who looses out. Your boss doesn't give a **** because it's not his pay check.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
That seems very harsh to me.. Very petty I couldnt work for a company like that with twats for managers.

I work from home 99% of the time, ive been to my office twice this year :) I go for an hour plus bike ride during the day and as long as the work is done then I fill my day as I wish (within reason). Would find that type of environment very hard :(

·
Registered
927 Posts
"Sky, if you would just let me do my job and continue to do your job untill the final minute of the day.. that would be greaaat.." :mad: I would NOT stand for this ****.

·
Registered
927 Posts
:smilebig: Sorry for scoring some cheap intertainment out of your pain in the ass boss. I consistently show up at work on the dot, maybe one or two early/late. More than most, I am here 10 minutes after time. Don't get paid anymore than 40 hours and no less. What kind of company do you work for btw?

·
Registered
20,979 Posts

Keep it simple mate. If they want a robot then be one, in the long run it will keep you out of trouble as using your initiative will be your downfall as they will only use you as an escape goat if something goes wrong.

They want you to do the hours and have your breaks...then crack on sunshine and enjoy less hours :D

If "The Man" is a d!(k head then that's his hard cheese :smilebig: :rotfl:

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Then I would make it a point to sit on my ass and do nothing for 27 minutes the next day. Only fair, right? :idunno:
Thing is.. With Power Engineering, some days all you do is sit around.

To be honest, if they do start docking my cheques... I am really not going to care. If I am leaving before 730, I have either drove in or have a ride home, and it is worth getting home 45 minutes earlier then if I wait for the bus to leave for town.

Do I disagree with the way things are done? Sure I do, every body has something they disagree with in their work place. My job is based around 24 hour coverage, so I do not leave until I get relieved. Once that happens, I figure I am done for the day.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Am I wrong in thinking that he's being a prick
No, you are not wrong. Though I think ignorant dickless prick would be a better description of him.

The sad thing is he is hurting the company he works for, but is probably telling himself that he is doing the right thing. That company is dumb if it doesn't know how much harm he is doing.

I suggest you start looking very hard for a new job (if you haven't started already) because bad companies let bad people manage.

Find a good company to work for instead. You'll be glad you switched.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts