Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Williams crash made me think about a few things. First being that I made it, I'm here, and in one piece. I learned to ride years ago, and I'm on my 4th bike, 3rd owned. I got lucky (all how you take it) and lowslided my VFR early on. And that lowslide told me everything I needed to know about motorcycling. That this sport isn't easy, it's not safe, (although you can make it safe, or minimize the risk in this case) and it isn't for everyone. Like the poor sap who wants to be a pro Athelete, or the guy who wants the prom queen, it just doesn't happen for everybody. Many people buy a sportbike because they see it on TV, in a commercial, or see a guy on the road doing a standup. Then they find out, like Williams did, that these things just aren't for everybody.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Someone told me something that has stuck with me for years (and it can apply to anything in life):

'Just because you can doesn't mean you should'

These athletes can afford anything they want to buy except good judgement... it's something you have to be taught as a child.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think a lot of it has to do with common sense, and coordination. You have to have plenty of both, as well as excellent reflexes. Believe it or not, these traits aren't standard, many do not have either. Do any of you remember the kid in PE that just couldn't throw the baseball right, or always seemed to drop the pass while playing football at recess? These are the types that simply shouldn't ride a bike. (And before anyone says it, I know there are exceptions, you see what I'm getting at). I'm just glad I went down early on, it really does teach that there are limits. Better that you find them out during a 35mph lowslide than 100MPH around a turn or worse.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Very good points.  My first lowside happened two weeks ago at the track, so I guess I've been fortunate up until then.  I had more than a few scares as a newer rider that probably kept me on the safe side.

BizJetGuy's comment 'These athletes can afford anything they want to buy except good judgement... ' is spot-on, and it applies to all decisions we make in life, not just those while riding.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
My pops told me when I started riding motorcycles on the street that there are 2 kinds of riders...those that have wrecked, and those that are going to. Then after having my old XX for 2 years I lowsided it, and that made me realize how easily things can go wrong. I came out with one scratch on my elbow (guess I know how to fall from skateboarding for so many years)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts