Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the zoo that is Home Depot. All I needed were a couple pressure treated 2x8s and a few small items. I spent 15 minutes culling through crap lumber and another 20 negotiating the crowds and waiting among the throng of people checking out.

I'd prefer my local lumber yard, expensive though they are, for their quality of lumber and less hassle. I hate convenience!

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I just got back from the zoo that is Home Depot. All I needed were a couple pressure treated 2x8s and a few small items. I spent 15 minutes culling through crap lumber and another 20 negotiating the crowds and waiting among the throng of people checking out.

I'd prefer my local lumber yard, expensive though they are, for their quality of lumber and less hassle. I hate convenience!
I attempted to purchase some 4x4 pressure treated wood for my trailer drop shims last year at Home Depot but was told they couldn't cut off any pieces from a board because sawing "pressure treated" lumber was toxic and they weren't allowed to do it. I asked how they managed to have about 15 metric tons of this toxic material available for sale to the public who were obviously going to cut it and received a blank stare in reply . . .

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I attempted to purchase some 4x4 pressure treated wood for my trailer drop shims last year at Home Depot but was told they couldn't cut off any pieces from a board because sawing "pressure treated" lumber was toxic and they weren't allowed to do it. I asked how they managed to have about 15 metric tons of this toxic material available for sale to the public who were obviously going to cut it and received a blank stare in reply . . .
America, land of the free...and rampant lawsuits.

How did you carry two 2x8's on your bike? :huh:
Ha. I'm rebuilding my bike. Had the pickup this trip. And oh, how I wish I was on my bike.

·
Registered
248 Posts
abtech said:
I...was told they couldn't cut off any pieces from a board because sawing "pressure treated" lumber was toxic and they weren't allowed to do it.
Hey, I thought that was the old PT lumber, which contained arsenic... don't they have the new PT lumber, which is supposed to be less toxic?

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Hey, I thought that was the old PT lumber, which contained arsenic... don't they have the new PT lumber, which is supposed to be less toxic?
I guess "less toxic" is relative. I just can't understand a statement of "We can't cut this wood because it's toxic, but you can cut it once it leaves the store . . ."

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Seems to me that if it was so toxic they would be wearing respirators in there. You know they have plenty of dust in those buildings.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I have a Lowes being built about 3/4 mile from our house and an existing HD about 4 miles away. :) Life is good for choices and convenience.

·
Yep...that would hurt ya!
1,088 Posts

God I hate that place. I have actually switched to Lowes. They seem much better at helping and they seem to have more staff in the different departments that know what the hell they're doing. I was there today....found what I wanted in 5 minutes and was out the door. :D

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Lowes and Home Deport are the Roseanne Barr and Jenna Jameson of consumer construction, one I go to for a great selection of quality wood, the other when I need something, not sure what it is, but I know if I root around long enough Im apt to find it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Lowes and Home Deport are the Roseanne Barr and Jenna Jameson of consumer construction, one I go to for a great selection of quality wood, the other when I need something, not sure what it is, but I know if I root around long enough Im apt to find it.
Thanks SSG, thanks a bunch! Now that little statement will rattle around my head on subsequent trips to the home improvement giants!
I don't want to hear any more explanation, especially if it involves any visuals of Roseanne Barr!:puke:
I can't belive I would ever hope you would go back to posting about toilets!:plunge:

·
Yep...that would hurt ya!
1,088 Posts
Thanks SSG, thanks a bunch! Now that little statement will rattle around my head on subsequent trips to the home improvement giants!
I don't want to hear any more explanation, especially if it involves any visuals of Roseanne Barr!:puke:
I can't belive I would ever hope you would go back to posting about toilets!:plunge:

Yeah....me too! Thanks Strange! :D

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Yeh I hate HD and their self checkout. I hate that there are 3 HDs closer to me than Lowes.

One thing to keep in mind. If you are buying molding... HD sells it by the foot and Lowes sells you the whole strip. I found that I can buy the whole strip for less than a few feet at HD.

You will also find a higher grade and better selection at Lowes. My Lowes seems to hire alot of cute girls too :thumb:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I just found out that Lowe's will be giving 10% off on any purchases up to $5000 this weekend to Military members in honor of Veteran's day. I liked them more than Home Despot already, now even more so.

:patriot:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts