Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Very true.

If it's short term or something, like you need to lease a car for 1 year as a work vehicle (IE write off on your taxes) then it can be a good idea.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Interesting factiod for y'all a shearing for me:
I just received my notice for all of my license plates. My CBR is $4 less than my 2000 GMC P/U. So I gear up for battle :rockets: but on investigation it seems the #$%% in Mobile tax cars at 15% and bikes at 20% :crap: Of course if it was a leased motor vehicle it would be 15%, yes I feel a project coming on :mad:

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
lease it down to a dollar buyout and don't pay more than 6% interest. I'm a manager at a car dealership. There is nothing wrong with leasing if the price is right.

Also keep in mind that there is a markup on used vehicles at a dealership of 3-5 grand. Don't EVER pay more than 3 grand under their list price on a used vehicle.

Best of luck

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
sheepofblue said:
Leasing any car is a bad idea.
I tend to agree.

In general, I believe leasing is for rich folks. As reality would have it though, the people who aren't always in a position to lease wind up doing so.

I've leased one car in my life, a then new '96 Toyota Camry. Never again.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
JamesEarl15 said:
Lease......................................................= :nono: . That is like leasing your wife. You'' like her for 3 years then, dang you have to take her back
Leasing can actually be the better option in certain situations. Not always, but there are leasing opportunities that save a bunch over a "traditional buy" where you're actually (in simplified terms) doing nothing more than leasing it for a longer period from a bank.
As for giving it back, you never have to do that. In fact, it is the stupid thing to do. If you like it, just buy it. If you don't, sell it and pay it off like you would any other car.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I'm gonna go against the grain and say that leasing is a good idea and go a step further and say that financing a car is a bigger waste of time.

When people dislike leases is when they try to get out of them early. A lease is an agreement to use a product for a given length of time and in return, you only have to pay for it during the duration that you have it. Where it gets tricky is residual values, money factors and cap costs and thats where many people get screwed over on leases. If you keep it to term, AS YOU AGREED TO DO, everything is peachy...

Never finance a depreciating asset. Finance a house or property, sure (not to mention the tax advantages). Finance your education, sure. Finance a car, bike, stereo, computer, don't do it... I'm not saying it's a bad thing, its just not the preferred way from a finance/economist point of view.

Leasing and financing are both losing propositions. Best policy is to pay cash for everything, but that's not always feasible... Damn sure can't seem to work it that way for myself... :crap:

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
What wrong with leasing? I'm leasing my H2, and only paying $450 a month for 12 years with a $52,000 balloon at turn-in. I got a SMOKIN' deal, eh?

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
ccwilli3 said:
I'm gonna go against the grain and say that leasing is a good idea and go a step further and say that financing a car is a bigger waste of time.

When people dislike leases is when they try to get out of them early. A lease is an agreement to use a product for a given length of time and in return, you only have to pay for it during the duration that you have it. Where it gets tricky is residual values, money factors and cap costs and thats where many people get screwed over on leases. If you keep it to term, AS YOU AGREED TO DO, everything is peachy...

Never finance a depreciating asset. Finance a house or property, sure (not to mention the tax advantages). Finance your education, sure. Finance a car, bike, stereo, computer, don't do it... I'm not saying it's a bad thing, its just not the preferred way from a finance/economist point of view.

Leasing and financing are both losing propositions. Best policy is to pay cash for everything, but that's not always feasible... Damn sure can't seem to work it that way for myself... :crap:
Agree on the pay cash. However if you run amortization tables on leases and loans, leases tend to be worse. If there is doubt find out what the car companies push, their lease or their loan program. And if you think they push the lease program because it is a better deal for you I got a diesel RC for sale in DC :evilaugh:

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
sheepofblue said:
Agree on the pay cash. However if you run amortization tables on leases and loans, leases tend to be worse. If there is doubt find out what the car companies push, their lease or their loan program. And if you think they push the lease program because it is a better deal for you I got a diesel RC for sale in DC :evilaugh:
My whole point is that financing an asset that depreciates in value is not fiscally a good thing to do.

First thing you learn in economics is things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them... Capitalism at its worse...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Pete said:
What wrong with leasing? I'm leasing my H2, and only paying $450 a month for 12 years with a $52,000 balloon at turn-in. I got a SMOKIN' deal, eh?
:D :rotfl: :thumb:

leasing is like renting an apartment. i hate renting, let alone renting a car on a long term basis.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
ccwilli3 said:
My whole point is that financing an asset that depreciates in value is not fiscally a good thing to do.

First thing you learn in economics is things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them... Capitalism at its worse...
We agree that is why I got the Ascot before the CBR. It is why I drove some scary cars. It is why I am hunting 2-4K track bikes vs '05 RCs :thumb: Living within yours means might seem to suck but the alternative is worse.

·
Registered
529 Posts
sheepofblue said:
We agree that is why I got the Ascot before the CBR. It is why I drove some scary cars. It is why I am hunting 2-4K track bikes vs '05 RCs :thumb: Living within yours means might seem to suck but the alternative is worse.
agreed. i know people that have to work 3 years after they're dead, they're so in debt. screw that. i'd rather have less and own it, then be in hock and the bank owns it all............. :eek:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts