Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had literally hundreds of PMs asking me about my new avatar, so I thought I'd put you all out of your misery with an explanation. I bought a Citroen 2CV a couple of months back. Here's a photo.

oops: forgot the photos :O

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My mom owned one when I was a kid:thumb: . We painted it red like your avatar using a hand pumped sprayer.
Removing the top was the coolest thing. I think my dad might still have it hidden somewhere after 30 years...:huh:

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
You forgot to mention you have a much nicer one in the garage... :p

Btw, who's the bird...she looks familiar, page 3 perhaps... :eyebrows: ;) :evilaugh:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
We had a black one when I was a little girl and lived in France.... watch out in the turns. :D

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Don't drive behind any jet airliners when they have their engines at full.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Don't drive behind any jet airliners when they have their engines at full.
No kidding... :clap:

I wouldn't park it unattended near any trebuchets either... :evilaugh:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
We had one before, about fifteen years ago, a red and white "Dolly" model. Sold it for some reason. :huh:

It's quite traditional to cover the boot (trunk) lid with stickers of places visited. I reckon mine was the only one in the world that had "This little car climbed Mt. Washington" on the back. Joke is that with only 29hp under the bonnet (hood) I doubt in reality it would ever have made it.

Yeah, it does lean a bit. I can just about get my elbow down on left handers. Suspension unbelievably soft. 25 years old. They started making them in 1949 I think. Stopped manufacture in something like 1990, although the later ones were made in Spain or Portugal, not too sure.

Whadda you mean not fast enough? Took it for a run today and flat out on a level road I saw (an optomistic) 72 on the speedo :D

Have a look at some of the cars in this gallery:

World meeting gallery

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
That takes me back, Proto: I spent many a happy hour in one long ago during one of my most francophile phases. They're certainly an entertaining driving challenge, but don't you worry about the safety aspects these days? There's probably less protection than on a bike wearing proper clothing!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They're certainly an entertaining driving challenge, but don't you worry about the safety aspects these days? There's probably less protection than on a bike wearing proper clothing!
It is true that even in their heyday, safety was a bit of an issue. The whole thing is made up of rolled up tin foil. It would just crumple up in an impact. This one is even worse as the chassis is way past its sell by date. Terminal corrosion which is a big, big problem. Just not deigned for northern Europe climate. Citroen didn't seem to bother too much about paint, and certainly didn't bother at all about primer. This car had its complete chassis replaced by Citroen within six years of manufacture, and I'm about to swap it again :(

The car is a bit of a project, and I've picked up a very good spare chassis for it which I've sent away for grit blasting and galvanising. Should get it back next week. Then it's into the garage for a ground up rebuild. Might take a while :( :O

Lots to do, the bodywork looks okay, but the rear wings are rotten, and interior is a bit tatty. Engine and suspension units are fine but could do with some TLC.

Sorted though they are great fun, you just can't help but smile when tootling along, the car rolling all over the place.

BTW the only other 2CV owner I know (actually he has two) also has a very nice RC45. Oh and a Caterham. Bloke is a bit like Jekyll and Hyde. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts