Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I officially ran through the first full take on the 929RR. For this tank that was probably a 50/50 split of city / highway driving. Anyway, coming home from work last night the gas light came on at 90 miles:huh:

I filled up this morning at 92 miles and the bike took 4 gallons. So...I'm getting 23mpg(US)? WTF?

The bike has a full aftermarket exhaust and stock ECU. Any thoughts as to what could be causing the horrible gas mileage? The bike doesn't smell like it's running super rich. It idles around 1100RPM's with the idle somewhat lumpy sounding (I equate it to sounding like a car that's got aftermarket cams in it).

Any thoughts?

-Aaron

·
Registered
896 Posts
lumpy idle is normal. get a power commander if you have a full system. ive seen anywhere between 90-140+ per tank depending on how i ride.

you want economy get a dual sport or touring bike. to get good mileage out of the blade you really gotta be easy with the throttle. city traffic sucks for gas mileage. too much stop and go...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just went through a full tank today after installing an Arata full system and a BCM airfilter. I'd say a 75/25 mix of city to highway.
My mileage was ~23mpg. (Light went on at ~94 miles).

I'm running a PCIII USB and I got a map from Dan Kyle.
The map was geared for a stock air filter with the Arata system.

I'm going to try to ease up a bit on the throttle, though I tend to cruise around the 5-6k mark, so I rarely hit 5th gear on city streets.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
The bike has a full aftermarket exhaust and stock ECU. Any thoughts as to what could be causing the horrible gas mileage? The bike doesn't smell like it's running super rich.
It'd be worth checking the fuel pressure regulator if you haven't already replaced it.
Do you have stock gearing?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I get lil over 150 out of my tank b4 the light comes on if i ride like i have brain matter. But that was all highway come to think of it on the way to dallas. In the city i just filled up with 119.8 on the clocks. No custom map on the pc. Bolt on pipe, and stock filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It'd be worth checking the fuel pressure regulator if you haven't already replaced it.
Do you have stock gearing?
Hmm, what exactly can you check on the fuel pressure regulator to know if it's working properly? Is that a common failure part on these bikes?

I just checked and it is the stock gearing (16/43).

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hmm, what exactly can you check on the fuel pressure regulator to know if it's working properly? Is that a common failure part on these bikes?
Very common, especially after five or six years.
Pull the vacuum line off. It should be dry and not smell of fuel.
If not then the diaphram has torn and the engine is sucking neat fuel straight through the vacuum line into the cylinder.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My light routinely comes on between 130-140 miles. That's not much stop-go, back road commuting to work and to the gym. I just have a Micron slip on and a K&N filter, stock ECU. Haven't have to replace the fuel pressure regualtor yet.

·
Registered
241 Posts
That doesn't sound to bad, I average 50mpg driving nice. cut that in half when RPM'S exceed 7000. still better than P/u truck..

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 2001 929 erion and my light comes on after about 90 miles. seems like not alot but it is a hell of alot more fun than the pickup truck i have

·
Registered
59 Posts
r u running stock gearing?? should be 16 tooth front and 43t us and 42t Europe style. first thing people do to the blades is drop a tooth in front and or raise a few in rear! that will kill your mileage! I dropped tooth on front and lost a avg. 9+ miles a gal. you can count or just do 55 and look at rpms if your close to 4k your not stock should be running closer to 3500 or lower. hope that help

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
The post is 4 years old - he's probably fixed it or gotten rid of the bike by now ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts