Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what size socket will fit on the rear axle nut of my 2002 954?
how many lbs of torque does the nut take?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mate, I use a big 32mm spanner and do it up tight...never had one fall off nor has the back wheel stopped spinning 'cause it was too tight :thumb: .

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
An 1-1/4" socket fits fine if you don't have a 32mm in your box... :twocents:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
How do they come up with this???? 83 ft/lbs????:idunno:

Why is 82 not enough and 84 too much?:idunno:
Started as metric, and 83 is the conversion. And they do some testing to know what is the best compromise between stessing the threads, binding of parts, and enough torque to make sure things don't back out due to vibrations. In some cases just a couple ft-lbs can make a real difference.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Honestly, tightening the nut up too much won't cause that problem. Besides to tighten it up way too much, you would need to put a very long wrench on the end of the socket and keep on turning.

Simon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good find oakley. its funny how r15suk says it doesnt matter when you clearly pointed out what the factory book says. i dont know about you , but ive got a torque wrench in my tool box and important nuts and bolts such as the one holding 1 of the 2 wheels you have; you better believe that its getting torqued.
also, baketech good info on the 1 and a quarter socket fitting just as well as the 32. becausein fact i do have a 1 1/4 and not the 32...saves me a couple bucks.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
also, baketech good info on the 1 and a quarter socket fitting just as well as the 32. becausein fact i do have a 1 1/4 and not the 32...saves me a couple bucks.
Glad to help, have fun... :thumb:

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Started as metric, and 83 is the conversion. And they do some testing to know what is the best compromise between stessing the threads, binding of parts, and enough torque to make sure things don't back out due to vibrations. In some cases just a couple ft-lbs can make a real difference.

Yeah I was giving the aero and ME guys a razin' for this today. But yes I understand it is to keep parts from falling off and from breaking them from to tight or binding them as well. :thumb: All good.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yeah I was giving the aero and ME guys a razin' for this today. But yes I understand it is to keep parts from falling off and from breaking them from to tight or binding them as well. :thumb: All good.
Shows you how well I was paying attention. Guess I'm one of those ME's needing a razin' :thumb:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
These guys are pure entertainment. AS I call them, the nerd herd. :thumb:
And I'm surrounded by them. :crap:

And some think I'm their leader :crying: Fools :eyebrows:

Some of the herd obviously needs culling :evilaugh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts