Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new gear is awesome.I'll have samples in a few days.Joe rocket stepped it up big time!!!!I'll have a racer suit from duhamel or sombody soon as well.Nicky's suit is made from pitrds leather(had a repsil crash suit there)it's lighet thiner and just as strong as a normal leather.It's infused with a cermaic to make it disapate heat ...cool ####.New boots that look like daytonas....to much to remember.Repsol jacket and gloves...

Arai is the best folks....you would be scared if you knew how little other company's spend on r&d.Arai pays there riders very little to nothing.They spend all their money on r&d.....lots of new lids coming....

Any questions just ask.....

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Ceramic....to dissipate heat?  

Ceramic is a very very poor conductor of heat, it's not going to dissipate heat worth a $hit. I don't recommend using that sales pitch to anyone who knows much about materials.

They may have been trying to insulate from heat, but that's potentially gonna make it one very hot wearing suit.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
luvtolean : Ceramic....to dissipate heat?  

Ceramic is a very very poor conductor of heat, it's not going to dissipate heat worth a $hit.  I don't recommend using that sales pitch to anyone who knows much about materials.

They may have been trying to insulate from heat, but that's potentially gonna make it one very hot wearing suit.
Ever heat something up in a ceramic bowl in chemistry class, touch it 1/2 hr later and have it be warm still?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I got to thinking and looked up the thermal conductivity of leather, and it is indeed lower than your average ceramic.  I guess it may help with heat flow, but it seems to me you'll kill the breathability of the leather.

It also seems to me that being more thermally conductive means you're more likely to get burned as you slide down the pavement....either way I see no reason other than marketing for it.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Held sells a similar product.....ceramic impregnated leather. They claim it has 25% better abrasion resistance...

Held with Armor-Tan

Edit:
This leather is actually supplied by Pittards.
More info can be found here:

Pittards Armor-Tan

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
That makes a lot more sense than the BS thermo story. I'll buy that.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Call me the skeptic, but even the abrasion thing sounded a bit much.....I'd really like to see a blind test...

The only reason I believe it at all, is because it comes from Pittards, and people like Held are using it.. :dunno:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The pitards is alot lighter than normal leather.Nicky's gp suit(i had a crashed one in my hands)is actually 4 pounds lighter cause hond hrc japan requested a lighter suit...more to come.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
ok, retard here. How would you get ceramic in leather? isnt ceramic like stone or hard clay?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
read the link....it has pictures and everything....all work safe...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'd be interested if anyone knows how the little 'armor plates' adhere to the leather fibers. Sounds a little like the gold plated steel that you might by at a mall kiosk.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Baketech : Call me the skeptic, but even the abrasion thing sounded a bit much.....I'd really like to see a blind test...

The only reason I believe it at all, is because it comes from Pittards, and people like Held are using it.. :dunno:
Actually, most of the better knee pucks have ceramic in them to help with abrasion resistance. I have 2 almost 2 years now on my Teknic pucks and they are still going strong. Granted, I seem to drag a knee less now than I used to but they are still going pretty well.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Are the new Arain lids going to have a paint scheme worth a sh!t? I have the RX7-RR4 in the yellow and orange Edwards paint scheme. To me, none of the new Arai helmets have had anything that looked nearly that damn cool. I get compliments on it by almost everybody who sees it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts