Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching for over a month for the right 954, I finally found it. It is a 2003 954 with the red on black paint job. It has a PCIII (like I need it&#33, an Erion slip on, Vortex frame sliders, fender bob, smoked windscreen, frame bobbins with Pitbull stand, Honda factory seat cowl, stock rear seat reupholstered red, stock muffler (still in plastic), small turn signals front and rear, and 4,600 miles on the odo. No scratches of dents. It cost many divorce points, but I think it was worth it. I do have two questions though?
1. How far should I let the brake pads wear down before replacing them. I can still see the wear slit, but it is getting close.
2. Do all PCIIIs make the low end bog (till about 3,500 rpm off the line), and if so, what can be done about it?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I have >10K on my bike and the pads still look good. You may need to download and install the corrrect map for your exhaust to correct the low-end problem.
www.powercommander.com

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Congrats !!!

J

·
Registered
364 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition.

In reply to your first question, you'll still have something like 2 mm of brakepad material left when the wear slots are effectively gone, but you really want to be thinking seriously about changing out your brake pads when that time comes.  If you're planning on doing any track work, better sooner than later.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
ULEWZ : 1. How far should I let the brake pads wear down before replacing them. I can still see the wear slit, but it is getting close.
Congratulations, Ulewz

As a fellow Viffer owner, I know that VFR owners as a group seem to obsess about getting every possible mile out of the brakes, oil filters, tires, chains, etc...even when there's money available to replace the damn things.

Your 954 is a performance bike. I say just replace them if there's any doubt. It's fun and rewarding. (I LOVE the howl those huge discs make when they're shearing off speed.)

Have fun!

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Congrats. Replace the pads now, you will see a huge improvement in brake feel. They all just dont wear evenly, I just did mine at almost 10k and the difference is night and day. And all the pads had some of the indicator line still on it. Your pretty local, I got a front stand if you need it.

Mike

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
G-Force Junkie : Congrats.  Replace the pads now, you will see a huge improvement in brake feel.  They all just dont wear evenly, I just did mine at almost 10k and the difference is night and day.  And all the pads had some of the indicator line still on it.  Your pretty local, I got a front stand if you need it.

Mike
Thanks for the kind offer. I may take you up on it some day. The bike only has 4700 miles on it, so maybe it will be fine for a while. What brand and type of brake shoe did you go with? I have been using EBC HH pads on my viffer.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
ULEWZ : 2. Do all PCIIIs make the low end bog (till about 3,500 rpm off the line), and if so, what can be done about it?
Congrats on the purchase - the 954 is truly a fun machine! As for the 3500 rpm bog, that seems to be standard on a stock bike. I thought the PC III was supposed to eliminate that!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congrats on the purchase mate! good stuff.... Whatever you do don't buy SBS brake pads, they're crap. I find carbon lorraine the best other than stock which are better but more pricey.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Look into DP brake pads - a very good upgrade. I'm right around the corner with stands and every possible tool you'll need to do most jobs on the 954.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts