Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really want to go to a track day sometime this summer but I refuse to go without having all the gear. Currently all I really need are knee pucks (which might not be important cause I don't know if I'll drag a knee my first day) and a back protector.

I've been looking at back protectors online and I'm not sure which I want because they all seem to be pretty good quality (I'm not talking Icon or any other crap brand). My main concern is fit. Being only 5'3"-5'4" I'm worried about getting one thats too long. Anyone know of a good quality one that will fit a short person (CBRVFR what do you use?)?

·
Registered
91 Posts
CBR929RE said:
I really want to go to a track day sometime this summer but I refuse to go without having all the gear. Currently all I really need are knee pucks (which might not be important cause I don't know if I'll drag a knee my first day) and a back protector.

I've been looking at back protectors online and I'm not sure which I want because they all seem to be pretty good quality (I'm not talking Icon or any other crap brand). My main concern is fit. Being only 5'3"-5'4" I'm worried about getting one thats too long. Anyone know of a good quality one that will fit a short person (CBRVFR what do you use?)?
Why is icon crap??

·
Registered
723 Posts
You really need to go and try on a few to see how they fit. I tried a few and ended up with the Dainese Wave2 because it was the most comfortable.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Bohn but you will have to try them on as everyone I know that has one is umm, ahem, taller than you!

Some track orgs want to see all your PPE at tech, ALL OF IT! Good luck with it.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Do not rule out Icon, Kawboy69 bought one about a year ago and i picked it up for him and wore it while riding and it felt good and has the hard (plastic) shell on the spine and even has a small chest plate in the front. He has not crash tested it but it feels better (safer) than by Bohn.

·
Registered
748 Posts
SpikedLemon said:
You really need to go and try on a few to see how they fit. I tried a few and ended up with the Dainese Wave2 because it was the most comfortable.
:plus1:

I have a knox and love it, super comfortable. I will be buying a chest protector from impact armour and highly recommend you do the same to have all of the protective gear. Only bad thing about impact armour (for back protectors OR chest protectors) is that the lead time is not so good during the summer.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Helimot TLV looks pretty convincing too, if I were on your side of the pond I'd take a look at that too. Unfortunately last I asked they did not deliver over the pond to us Europeans. I currently have Know KC2000 Race, but I'm currently looking for something with a hard spine protector, Dainese Gillet Wave (shirt model with some chest and kidney protection) is currently topping my list.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Have you considered the new Joe rocket one made by T-Pro? Not to highjack the thread but do track org. require a back protector to strap on or are the insert ones acceptable? I'd like to wear mine all the time and having one with the wasit strap would just suck riding around on the street with. I'm looking at the T-pro but I'd like the insert.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
The only trackday org that has checked my back protector was the FBO guys.

Never at any other event. In fact, I can't remember any of the 4 racing orgs I've been with checking for them either.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
apfire26 said:
Why is icon crap??
well I have friends that have some of their stuff. the super duty boots look like ass after a season of riding and seem like they are falling apart. the Super duty 2s do look a little better. The gloves have burst the seams just riding (no crashes). And one of my friends used to be the parts manager at the local Honda dealership and the Parts Unlimited rep told him not to even stock the gloves cause are total crap.

But Hammer my friend who broke his back in a crash last year bought the Icon back protector and rides his quad with it all the time (mostly just wheelies in a parking lot). It seems pretty nice. I think I'll try it on sometime even though he's a little bigger than me.

I've never seen a single back protector in any store around here so that makes it hard to try them on. guess I'll have to travel to some dealers a little further away (I'm always down for a ride to wherever anyway)

and as far as the strap on or ones that go in the pocket, I'd feel much better about one that atually straps on so it. I'd rather not have one in the pocket that can move around.

I'm not worried about any track org checking it because I won't spin a wheel on a track without one. personal decision I've made.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its funny this icon thing came up.
I just got my new icon knee/shin guards and although they seem like they will be comfortable and protect my legs, the down side is that one of them have a strap that is already come a little loose. I'm gunna have my wife sew the velcrow part that came loose on a little better.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also don't like how most of their ads feature stunnas. the one with the gixxer on the ground and the guy holding his head was pretty funny though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
CBR929RE said:
I also don't like how most of their ads feature stunnas. the one with the gixxer on the ground and the guy holding his head was pretty funny though.
:rotfl: I haven't seen that one yet.
I know a lot of people on here don't like the stunting but I have to admit that watching the stunt videos is what made me get the desire to get a bike.
Now that I've got the bike I've really got into almost every aspect of riding. I watch the race every week and I kick myself when I miss it, or if Hayden dosen't place well. lol.

Anyway, back on topic. Next on my list is the icon back/chest protector. Hopfully it doesn't have any loose seams. The reason I'm going with icon is that I already have the helmet, jacket, gloves, and now knee pads.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't taken an up close look at it yet but it appears to be decently made.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
apfire26 said:
Now I need 100$ extra bucks.
I think I need to save for the Scotts damper first though.
funny you mention that because I told my friends that I'm done with purchases for the bike this year but I forgot about a damper. I might end up getting one of them too. I figure the credit cards will be paid off either next month or the month after so might as well put something else on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts