Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was originally looking at ninja 650r and sv 650s then i found out they want to screw me on ninja insurance a suzuki didnt make any bikes this year. so my cousin said i can have his 2008 cbr600. he has been riding for 18 years i am just 18. i am taking the msf and getting private lessons from him and his friend who both teach the msf. is it a good idea to take his cbr600?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
This is the million dollar question. Personally I would not recommend it for many reasons but it really depends more on you. If you are a natural and can keep your ego in check, you may do fine. A lot of "ifs" though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know this bike has a ton of power. i think its good to get it for free from my cousin. i will keep my ego in check the main thing is i dont want to go out there and pull wheelies i want to know if i can learn on this bike just how to ride i dont care for speed or racing

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
If you take it easy you should be OK on a 600. If your cousin gives it to you guess you're going to be careful on it anyway - I can't imagine they'd be too happy if the bike got trashed!

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, as they say. If someone offered me a free bike I'd bite their hand off!

·
Registered
902 Posts
same old problem, its not the bike its the rider, if you a dick head the bike will hurt you, if your switched on (and it sounds like you are) she will help get you out of trouble when you get it wrong. Stay safe, watch and learn treat all around you as retards out to get you and you will have years of fun......:thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice guys i just didnt want to get in over my head. i want to learn and get good on my first bike so in about 3 years i can go up to florida with my cousin. i figure in my 3rd year i should be able to ride pretty well to go on a trip like that.

·
Registered
745 Posts
ok... a 125cc will do 70mph in a 30pmh zone. you will loose your license and could die if you crash.

It is easy to do this on any level of bike!!!!

Keep your head. enjoy the CBR600. Good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Doable? Yes. Advisable? No.

It's not just about keeping your head. You'll learn slower on a 600 than a 250 because you'll always be keeping both yourself and the bike in check. You know the 600 is more powerful than the 250. You will be restraining yourself more with the 600 than you might with the 250. And a lot of things are learned when you push your envelope (emphasis on it being your envelope, not the bike's).

Good example is throttle control, especially while cornering. It'll feel unnatural and downright scary to stay on the throttle, even giving her more throttle, in the middle of a turn. Especially since your mind will be constantly telling you, as a new rider unfamiliar with your bike, how much power a 600 has and how easily it'll slip the rear because of it. So you won't stay on the throttle, you'll prolly end up turning wide a lot till you finally discover you can push it more in a turn.

It's something that Keith Code writes about in his Twist of the Wrist books. About how fear and survival reactions prevent people from achieving proficient riding. And the 600 will intimidate a sane person more than the 250, further slowing their progress. It's not necessarily bad. But its not the best way to learn either.

P.S.
Dayum! I coulda saved myself a lot of typing. Here's a couple of stories from people who started on an CBR 60 F4i
The F4i as your first sports bike: good or bad?

·
Registered
733 Posts
That can be a very vicious bike in the wrong hands. Grab it, try to stay within your limits (old country roads, industrial parking lots, city and highway travel when light) and you will have years of fun once comfortable. Please post back in a few weeks.
Bob

·
Registered
125 Posts
thats a very subjective question man. My first street bike was an 05 600rr. That bike would haul when i wanted it to, lay down in a corner if i asked it to... basically it was very rider friendly. However, all my experience was on dirt which is nothing like the street, and even though i was careful, and kept my ego and stupid moment in check, i still totalled it twice the first year, both times it was the other persons fault. I lucked out and got 2 learning chances... most people dont. I say dont do it until you learn how to ride on the street.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Do Both, accept the Gift of the 600, then go out and buy the 250....and learn on the 250...thats how i did it....but kinda a sad start into the 600 world for me....i wont bore ya'll with details, but i bought a Honda VTR 250, rode it for a few years, bout 2 actually then got hit by a drunk driver while riding said bike, recovered a year and a half later, and then bought my first 94 600 F2...in Nov of 94..Then became an MSF instructor myself..But you do what you like, Just Please, Please Respect the bike...10 mph and a 71 ford maverick damn near killed me...and i had taken the MSF course, and was a field helper with them at the time of my acccident..

·
Premium Member
21,012 Posts
This is the million dollar question. Personally I would not recommend it for many reasons but it really depends more on you. If you are a natural and can keep your ego in check, you may do fine. A lot of "ifs" though.
:plus1: It really does depend on what's in ya head...if you're a petrol head and a bit of a speed freak..the '08 600 will probably get you into a lot of trouble.
If you're calm and collected, depending on how much you 'twist the wrist' then you'll be fine.
Take the gift and go and buy a 250 to learn on for a year:thumb: Ride Safe and ATGATT:thumb:

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
i generally agree with the 250 idea. i grew up on dirt bikes, had a few cruisers later (19 years old and beyond) then at 24 got a 600rr. i knew how to ride, street and dirt, and to be honest was intimidated by even a "lowly" 600!! i would certainly take the free offer from your cousin with gratitude, but yes, buy a smaller bike, you'll outgrow it in 6 months-2 years, then you can simply sell it when you are comfortable with your skills and confident on the 600. just use your head, i took an MSF course in order to get a motorcycle on a military base, and despite riding already learned a ton of things i should've known! good luck, be safe, and use your best judgement anytime you are on a bike.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i dont know, everything people are saying makes sense. i started on dirt with a 280 but i was also a 140 lb freshman. my very next bike was a 4stroke honda 600xr the damn thing was a BEAST! when i turned 20 my old man bought a harley (just cause he could not that he really wanted to ride it) so i put the few K miles on it that thing was 1300cc+ never had a problem with it at 20yrs stupid... i mean old.

i got my first crotch rocket just over a year ago at 25 a 1000rr. even from harley to rocket its a HUGE difference. i get all kinds of crap for going with a 1k for MY first bike, so the hell what? i love the way they felt and the way they looked so i got it. and now i love the way she rides. ive grown into my bike with plenty of room still left for growin.

im in the school of thought that its the rider not the bike you can kill your self on a pocket rocket if you dont respect it (just a lot less likely). ive been down hard twice both times at low speeds on my 280.

its all a mind set if you feel uncomfortable with a 600 then dont do it yet. if you think you can handle it who am i to tell you ur stupid? but either way take a class or two for sure. and remember to only push your self in small incriments no matter what your on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
With a top speed of 161mph, and 0-60 in 3.2 seconds the modern day 600rr is a handful for any rider new or old. Like the majority here, I'm not saying it's impossible to learn on, just that you will be terrified of the bike for so long that it will keep you from advancing like you would on a smaller bike.

Even the sv650 and the ninja650 you were looking at are usually at the high-end of what most people recommend for beginners.

Of course, I wouldn't ever turn down a free 2008 cbr, that's just crazy talk lol. So, what I would do is bring it to some abandon parking lots and test it out. If you're riding around on it and you feel like it's waiting for you to mess up so it can murder you (which it is), then you should buy a smaller bike and garage the 600 until your ready for it.

Good luck with whatever you decide and ride safe! :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like many have mentioned, it all depends on maturity, judgement, and common sense. I know people who started on similar bikes (R6) and did fine even though I thought theyd be done in a week. I started on an 05 CBR600RR and put 13k miles on it.

Everyone is different, but I kind of think that as long as you fit on it, a bike thats got more than you need will be good. A little fear is what keeps us in check and not tempting fate. I got comfy on the 6 and moved to a 750. Regeared that and added some other doodads like a PCIII and now got rid of that for the CBR1K. I feel myself calming down and becoming more adultish as the days progress, so Im thinking ill just leave this one alone and ride it into the sunset. (Sunset being the day that I can afford a Duc 1098 :rotfl: )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.