Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. I work in law enforcement and we are required to wear bulletproof ballistic vests. My department provides us the Point Blank Vision Pro concealable vest. My question is, since i commute daily on my f4i if it would just be worth it to wear my vest to work instead of my icon vest, my bulletproof vest feels much sturdier and i think it would hold up better to impact especially with the trauma plates in it, yet the material that straps the vest to me is nylon and spandex and I feel that would wear off or my quickly in a slide, thoughts?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Dang! Where can I get one?
Completely different applications between the two. I think you should do more research on all the technical specs of both vests and compare. I'd be interested to know...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you leave the vest and uniform at work and change there before and after your shift? I would recommend wearing motorcycle specific gear when riding. Also, if you happen to go down on your bike and damage your ballistic vest your department might find you responsible for its replacement.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
I'm with this guy ^^^ The BAL vest may offer some protection, but probably not the coverage the ICON would... and I know they run at LEAST $650, and damaging one on a hi/lo side commute to/from work may not be "service related". That's great they don't make you pay for them initially though :thumb:

Are you permitted to wear the ICON vest over your uniform?

Additionally, thank you for protecting & serving :patriot:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Your bullet resistant vest will offer some protection.
Motorcycle specific gear is designed for the blunt force trauma that we are in danger of by the use of strategically placed "armor".
Just as the spectra or Kevlar fibers will eventually stop the full penetration of the projectile, the use of hardened steel, composite plate or perhaps sheer thickening fluid is added to spread the energy transfer across a larger surface area.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A: No way he's gonna wear his uniform on his bike. I wouldn't. Not safe. Too many boogeymen targeting LEO's.
B: I could get behind wearing a ballistic vest under a riding vest, for sure! It's going to add a layer of protection. It's not going to conflict with the existing armor in a motorcycle jacket. I think that it would compliment it.

If it saves your butt in a crash, who cares if you have to pay for it!? And, if you're paying for anything, you'd likely just be replacing a $100 carrier! Even the full replacement cost of the entire vest would be cheaper than the co-pay for the shortest ambulance ride, with probably ANY insurance! And that body armor could be just enough to keep a moderate spill to a bruised ego, and some scrapes, and keep you out of an ambulance.

Though, I would also not use it in place of a riding jacket. There is protection offered there, that isnt offered by body armor. Just food for thought.

Nik

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Bah!

Ballistic vest?

You'd be much safer with breathing apparatus to insulate yourself from Coronavirus!!?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts