Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came home to this e-mail tonight: :freebird: :smilebig: :clap: :hyper:

We are pleased to announce that we are now providing you more of what matters when choosing a High Speed Internet provider – SPEED! In order to provide you with the best value in High Speed Internet, Cox is increasing the speed of your Preferred Package High Speed Internet service. Now you can download at up to 4Mbps and upload at up to 512Kbps at no additional cost. This means you can surf the web and download music 30% faster than last week, or up to 135 times faster than dial-up. This speed increase has automatically taken place beginning August 10th and there is no action required on your part.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
That's sweet, especially since they aren't charging extra.

My DL speed is fine, 500KBps/4Mbps, but I wish my UL was better than the capped 64KBps/512Kbps :crap:

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ConqSoft said:
Yeah, the cable company here is offering plans up to 6mbs now. :evilaugh:
I have the option to go up to 5, but it costs extra. In all honesty, I'm tempted to cancel this and go back to dialup at home. I can get done everything I need to get done at work, plus we'll be getting a DS3 in pretty soon :evilaugh:

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
TGZ13 said:
Communications 3.2 megabits per second

Storage 385.8 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 2.7 seconds

Subjective rating Awesome
Speed
2.7 megabits per second

Communications 2.7 megabits per second
Storage 332.8 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 3.1 seconds
Subjective rating Great

Not bad, but I've seen it go faster than that, from multiple simultaneous sources. Maybe if more ports were opened :idunno:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
SomeStrangeGuy said:
do you live in a commercial building?
:huh:
No, this is just where they offer it. There was company called Winfirst that started laying fiber under ground in Sacramento and offering it at the same price as DSL and cable. They went under because the cost of digging up the streets was too much. Sure West Broad band purchased that company and started it up again but now only does above ground power poles for distribution. They offer fiber optic TV, phone, and internet. Whole package with like 10 HBO's and like 15 showtimes and other junk is like $100/mo. Plus you can download movies from their servers and watch them on your TV like pay per view but it's individual use only. It just streams in over the fiber to your T.V. Cool stuff, I just happened to luck out that they had it in this area. I have never heard of another place with fiber.

-Shrub

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
2.4 megabits per second

Communications 2.4 megabits per second
Storage 288.1 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 3.6 seconds
Subjective rating Great

The company I work for is launch 7 Mb / Sec at the end of the month. Mach 7.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
T1 is 1.544Mbps, I suspect that is what you have at work.

edit: I suspect most (broadband) people have slower work connections than they do at home. I deal with quite a few companies that still run 56k lines out to their regional offices! :eek: I'd die of boredom.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
nomad said:
T1 is 1.544Mbps, I suspect that is what you have at work.

edit: I suspect most (broadband) people have slower work connections than they do at home. I deal with quite a few companies that still run 56k lines out to their regional offices! :eek: I'd die of boredom.
I would be forced to find a new job :smilebig:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
nomad said:
1086KBps = 8.9Mbps. Is that measured or advertised? What does http://bandwidthspeedtest.com say?

It says in fine print "Connections over 8mbit/s are not supported." just below the start of the test. I guess they don't accurately measure connections that fast. :eyebrows:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts