Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To you guys w/banzai's, how and where did you mount your license plate? Pics would be handy since I just received mine today from DK. :D

Also, would there be any problem mounting a race fairing over the headlight assembly. I wouldn't think so, but would like to know before I make a purchase.

Thx.

·
Registered
90 Posts
fivestar said:
To you guys w/banzai's, how and where did you mount your license plate? Pics would be handy since I just received mine today from DK. :D

I'd post a pic, but i still haven't figured how to....
:idunno:

I still have the stock undertail, but the license plate area is trimmed flush to the surface beneath the trunk lock all the way across. I then mounted a small, flush closing hinge on the side opposite the trunk lock, so that the hinge is down. The plate is then mounted with to the other side of the hinge with new holes discretely cut through the tags. The screws are very small, #6 or #8, I believe.

The plate sits vertical at rest, but does fold under a bit at stops. The wind keeps it in the correct position while moving. To get to the trunk, the plate is folded under and the lock is accessed over the top of the plate.

I'll try to get a pic posted.... :rolleyes:

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Here are some Banzai's with stock undertail. :) I also put sigs on, like a TLR, under the pipes off the side of the plate bracket. But, I am getting the dussalt undertail soon, so this will not look like this for long.

AND...the garage is clean now! ROFL! that was after working on the pipes...cardboard and bike parts every where!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SMTB, I knew you'd come thru. :clap: I thought that the stock fender wouldn't fit w/the Satos. Good deal. Where are you getting the undertail from? How much, if ya don't mind me asking?

Very nice!

:thumb:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I hate the idea of cutting my stock piece, but I'm quickly running out of money thx to Dan K.

:thumb:

That is a sweet looking undertail!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Yeah, I really like it...you will still have to cut your stock undertail I think...most undertails make you cut it in half. This allows you to use the stock undertail with the battery area...and new backing of the new undertail. So...your old undertail will probably be scrap.

Don't get freaked out though, its pretty simple....all you need is a hack saw. I used a dremle tool for the final rounding and nitpicky stuff. :) I plan on taking step by step pics, so if you want I will post them once I am done. OR, check out Rogue's site, under mods...they might already have that information.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The bike I picked up from L.A. had the undertail cut. I'm trying to find a way to mount the license plate and my buddy is seeing if he can mount a bracket. Are there any parts out there to help aide in mounting a license plate with a completely cut undertail? I've extended my DMV temp registration as I am required to have a VIN inspection so obviously they will kick my ass if I don't have a place to mount the plate. :nono:

I'm trying to avoid replacing the entire undertail with a new one (stock or custom) but if I have to, I will. Only issue is my bike is painted yellow and the custom ones aren't yellow and I'll have to get it painted. So, mounting a bracket of some sort would be my preference if possible.

Thanks,
-c

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
you can try one of those fender/plate kits I see all over the place...other then that...I think you might have bite the bullet. try ebay... :(

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I trimmed my fender and it looks pretty good (sorry no pics at the moment). When I installed the Banzais, one of them rubbed the right exhaust cannister (maybe it was the left?) and I had to do some more trimming. I wouldn't mind an undertail but the cost is high, and I've heard of too many problems, with all of them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Looks like the GP-3 undertail kit at Devilbikes is the most optimal solution if my buddy at the Honda place can't get a bracket installed for me.

The GP-3 also comes in black which means I won't have to worry about matching the custom yellow paint on my bike. $300 isn't that bad. The worst part is asking the DMV to extend my temporary registration one more time! They are going to hate me!! :evilaugh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts