Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, nice to see a forum like this still active. I need your opinion about my battery issue.

I got a cbr1000rr, sc59 2009., bought it few months ago. From very first day it was cranking a bit slow (just like it dont have enough power) but it was firing up ok. I didnt check it at that time because seller told me it was because of xenon lights, they drain initial starting power but it works just fine... And it did, since four days ago.
I was doing my usual route, parked it to grab some coffee, get back, tried to start it and failed. Bike was cranking, slower than usual but didnt start. Lucky, couple friends gave me a push, bike fired up and everything was ok for 3 days. Last night, same thing, friday night ride went ok, parked it to have drink with friends for couple hours, tried to start it up, no go. No cranking, no fuel pump, only display and lights (blinking when push starter button). Tried to push, not working (fuel pump dont have enough power). Tried to jump start with my friends Aprilia Shiver, runs great but as soon I disconnect the cable, my honda dies. It was late night so I didnt rev it above 2500rpm (tried to be polite much as possible). Is it possible that I killed the battery whose power is 6ah (recomended is 8.5ah) or most probably the stator as well. Should it run after jumpstarting no matter the battery? Or completely dead battery could do malfunction to cause engine stall
I didnt check charging levels, it seemed ok because it charged last 3 months and out of the blue just died on me.
I will see mechanic first thing on monday but need your opinion to prepare myself for extra spend.

Sorry for such a big post, ✌

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,055 Posts
Hi there, it is possible you have a charging issue. First off, get a new fully charged (12.7vdc) proper sized battery. Then, with a multimeter, check the battery terminals while at idle. You should see over 13vdc. Rev it up to about 4-5k, the same reading shouldn't be over 15vdc. That is a preliminary test showing that a known good battery is being properly charged by the system.

On bikes with fuel injection, if the battery isn't sufficiently charged and drains itself while in use, it will be VERY unlikely that it will survive. Start there and report back (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for fast reply... I'll get it done first thing on monday, try it and keep updating.

Do you know how much I can travel with fully charged 6ah battery assuming that charging is compromised. My mechanic also sells batteries, and he is about 15 miles away

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,055 Posts
Thanks for fast reply... I'll get it done first thing on monday, try it and keep updating.

Do you know how much I can travel with fully charged 6ah battery assuming that charging is compromised. My mechanic also sells batteries, and he is about 15 miles away
I would guess less than 10 minutes, if that. The battery will drain incredibly fast trying to power the injectors, fuel pump, lights and any other primary electrical circuits without being recharged by the system. That is purely a guess, it could be longer or shorter.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I’d charge the battery on a trickle charger over night, but it on the bike, start up and carry out the standard charging tests as per the workshop manual using a volt meters. If that checks out a-okay then you probably have a old/weak battery. My penny’s worth

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
I’d charge the battery on a trickle charger over night, but it on the bike, start up and carry out the standard charging tests as per the workshop manual using a volt meters. If that checks out a-okay then you probably have a old/weak battery. My penny’s worth
And if it turns out you DO have a defunct battery, think about replacing it with a Lithium Ion battery. They put out a lot more current than a lead-acid type, and re-charge much faster. Only disadvantage is they don't like cold temperatures. (<4 degree C) But that shouldn't matter to you in Bosnia and Herzegovina

1 - 6 of 6 Posts