Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, some of you probably remember me posting a while back about my battery taking a :shit: . Now I'm not so sure. I still have the same battery (17 months old). Today, after sitting for 3-4 days it fired right up. I rode about 7 miles to my C.U. and when I came out 15 minutes later it was dead - had to bump start it. I came straight home and shut it off, waited about 5 minutes, and it started up stongly. Same scenario has happened before also. What do you think? Battery or charging system :idunno: I hate the thought of buying a new battery if it could possibly be a warranty situation. TIA!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
If your bike is still under warranty, even if it was the battery the dealer should fix the problem for you :idunno:

Edit: After reading your post a 2nd time, I would check for a bad connection, I don't see why the bike would need to be boosted to start and be fine 10 minutes after? Maybe when you plugged the jumper cable you touched the faulty cable :hmm:

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm guessing battery. They go down kinda funny sometimes. Mine was slow to start one day, worked great for a couple of weeks, then left me to bump start it. So far it's been fine since I replaced it.

I'd say it's worthwhile trying to get the warranty company to take care of it. Read your warranty, and it should tell you if it's covered or not.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm dealing with the battery/or something else issue right now. I bought a 29 range digital multimeter last weekend from Radio Shack, and then performed the diagnostics in the manual and found that the culprit is the stator. Before I did this, I just figured that it was the regulator/rectifier and bought a new one. When the bike behavior didn't change, I bought a battery - still no change, so this has been pretty expensive for me. Shoulda bought the multimeter first......

·
Registered
576 Posts
Latebraking said:
I'm dealing with the battery/or something else issue right now. I bought a 29 range digital multimeter last weekend from Radio Shack, and then performed the diagnostics in the manual and found that the culprit is the stator. Before I did this, I just figured that it was the regulator/rectifier and bought a new one. When the bike behavior didn't change, I bought a battery - still no change, so this has been pretty expensive for me. Shoulda bought the multimeter first......
Performing a diagnostic on your bike is obviously the best approach to the problem. Dunno why I don't think of that more often. Kudos, Latebraking!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
ND4SPD said:
If it's under warranty, let the dealer worry about it.
some people worry more about the dealer than anything else...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bacchus said:
...Today, after sitting for 3-4 days it fired right up. I rode about 7 miles to my C.U. and when I came out 15 minutes later it was dead - had to bump start it. I came straight home and shut it off, waited about 5 minutes, and it started up stongly. Same scenario has happened before also. TIA!
This is weird. It happens exactly like this on my f4i also. I let it sit for like 3 months a few months ago, and have had problems every since. I'm sure the bat was almost drained during that time...so that might be it...but anyways now every other Sunday morning, it fires up right away. Then I stop for something, turn the engine off, and it doesn't have enough juice to turn over. After bump starting, and driving home, it starts right back up 2 weeks later. Wtf? :idunno:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Powershift said:
This is weird. It happens exactly like this on my f4i also. I let it sit for like 3 months a few months ago, and have had problems every since. I'm sure the bat was almost drained during that time...so that might be it...but anyways now every other Sunday morning, it fires up right away. Then I stop for something, turn the engine off, and it doesn't have enough juice to turn over. After bump starting, and driving home, it starts right back up 2 weeks later. Wtf? :idunno:

I believe that if the battery doesnt have a battery tender/or like trickle charger if allowed to sit for a while the battery will give a good one time discharge (first initial start). If after you start it, you take a short ride with lights on bright and any other accessories activated the battery will not get a proper charge. The bike must be run for a while above 5k RPM in order to get a decent charge. Im willing to spend $30 and get a battery tender, IMO they are worth every penny.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the insight folks. Deep down, I really feel it is the battery but the bike has never sat for longer than 2 weeks, and only a few times. I realize that batteries are a "pig in a poke", and sometimes you just get a shitzo one. I will talk to my dealer about warranty. My F4i battery went belly up in less than 1 1/2 years also, but after bump starting that bike the instrument display was all phucked up, weird characters and such. Not so on the 954.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bacchus said:
Thanks for the insight folks. Deep down, I really feel it is the battery but the bike has never sat for longer than 2 weeks, and only a few times. I realize that batteries are a "pig in a poke", and sometimes you just get a shitzo one. I will talk to my dealer about warranty. My F4i battery went belly up in less than 1 1/2 years also, but after bump starting that bike the instrument display was all phucked up, weird characters and such. Not so on the 954.

So, what we've concluded is that a trickle charger might be needed. But why? Would just 2 weeks of sitting drain it completely?

Lastly, if it has drained, do I need a new battery, or can I just charge my current one and be good as new? Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts