Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out about an hour ago to make a store run and when I cranked the ignition I got the dreaded clickety-click-click. Tried again a few seconds later and it tried to turn over. Tried a third time and after a couple of slow turns it fired right up. Same thing when I left the store (which is only 3 miles from home. The battery IS going on 5 years (in Arizona heat), so I suspect that. But why would it get stronger with each starting attempt? Would anyone here suspect a problem other than battery?

And yes, I checked the terminal connections and they are secure. And no, the truck hasn't been sitting, just used it yesterday. TIA!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Sometimes, the starter will get stuck. It happens occasionally. It has happened to me on my old S-10 Blazer. I just went under the hood, gave the starter a solid bang with say, a tire iron, and that would help un-stick it. I did this several times with that vehicle, and never had to replace the starter. The bad news is, if it is the starter going, it will probably cost much more than a battery. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MacMan : I guess someone needs to help you out here Bacillus. Put a NEW battery in it...
Thanks for the tip Ed (McMahon)       Someone must still be mad at me for my Compaq remark. J/K!  I did figure it to be the battery but don't understand why it would crank harder with each successive start attempt.

pczach, I definitely don't think it's a starter problem in this case, although I'm familiar w/what you are talking about.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MacMan, bought a new battery yesterday

ND4, bought it at Autozone. Called several auto stores, and you were right about the warranty. 7 year guarantee (yeah, right), and 2 year free replacement warranty (a good thing) for $49.95!

Thanks for the input guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts