Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have any ideas for a "semi-reliable" beater vehicle. I'm thinking something in the $3000 and under range. (Let's say around $2500 for you Americans.:patriot:) It will mostly need to get me to work and back for about a year (10km one way, 4 times a day).

Just thought I'd throw this out there. Any ideas? :idunno:

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Seriously, get an old cheap GM car like a Regal or something with the 3.8L V6. When stuff breaks (and stuff will break on all 3000 dollar beaters) it will be cheap to fix.

edit: old Hondas are fun but most of them burn oil and parts are pricey.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
BTW if you want to browse the lot at CMP we've got some trades in that range. If there's something you're interested in I can get you a deal. On dealer lots, most $3000 dollar cars cost them $500, most $6000.00 cars cost them $3000.00

Edit: I'll check the used inventory tomorrow morning and give you a list of shit in that range.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Mangina said:
Anyone here have any ideas for a "semi-reliable" beater vehicle. I'm thinking something in the $3000 and under range. (Let's say around $2500 for you Americans.:patriot:) It will mostly need to get me to work and back for about a year (10km one way, 4 times a day).

Just thought I'd throw this out there. Any ideas? :idunno:
1993 Accord 5 spd
1990+ Prelude

Do you drive a bus?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
SomeStrangeGuy said:
Don't you want to save the honesty for when he's trying to trade something in first?
:rotfl: What's wrong, not used to having an honest car sales person?

Go with an old Honda. Thet are usually good for 300k miles, easy...

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
SomeStrangeGuy said:
Don't you want to save the honesty for when he's trying to trade something in first?
This is as honest as he's gonna get it. I'm not a salesman, I manage the commercial rental division.

Mangina I sent you a pm

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
My choice for a beater...one of the 4 cyl mini trucks... :twocents:

Versatile....economical...and you lose almost no money when you are done with it... :thumb:

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Baketech said:

Versatile....economical...and you lose almost no money when you are done with it... :thumb:
Good idea also.

My first vehicle was an '83 Dodge (Mitsubishi) D50 4x4. Paid $1000 for it and drove the crap out of it for 2 years.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Baketech said:

:thumb: :thumb: A 4x4 Datsun/Nissan would be my choice.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SomeStrangeGuy said:
1993 Accord 5 spd
1990+ Prelude

Do you drive a bus?
Bus? You mean the 4 trips? Once to work, home at lunch, back to work, then back home.

I had an 85 Prelude years ago, and let's just say I won't be getting back into an older Honda again. Plus, people around here seem to think that their 82 Honda accord with 450,000 kms, no windshield, 4 mismatched tires, with a brown rust coating is still worth $5000.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
EDDIE110171 said:
How about anything with a Toyota 22R engine.
Yep, they literally run forever. Get it in a 2WD and it will get reasonable milage too. The only real flaw in those mid eighties toyos is the 5 spd tranny.

If you want a car, and want to have some fun, you could look into a 5.0 Mustang with a 5 speed. They last forever, the junkyards are full of parts for them, and replacement parts are dirt cheap. If you do get one, and it has over 150k miles, replace the electronic fuel pump if it's fuel injected. It's not hard, not expensive, and the pumps tend to die around that age leaving you stranded.

Be careful with one in the rain or snow though!

My 5.0 has over 160k very hard miles, and is strong!

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
My '95 Toyota 4x4 p/u stands true to the anything with a 22r motor in it theory, been driving that for yrs put a bunch of miles on it and the biggest problem I had so far was a belt breaking. Mines 4x4 so it gets lousy gas mileage but its awesome in the snow!

Oh and I used to haul at least my 400ex usually another on the trailer every single weekend both days for about 2yrs, hauled my bikes around helped ppl move with it....not 1 problem.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts