Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was one pissed off mofo on Friday night. I have been busting my a$$ for six months to get my F2 ready to race and I had it running good and strong, drove to the dragstrip(figured I would start out by running a few passes in the quarter mile before I take it roadracing) and that rat ba$tard would not start!! I had to take the day off work and drive 5 hours to the dragstrip just to sit up in the stands and watch everyone else race. Good thing I didn't have a baseball bat! And no I have not diagnosed the problem I was way to mad. Am I the only person on earth that this has happened to? For a beginner I sure am discouraged now. Maybe I should start over with a newer bike.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
omg...I know you have been tring to work with that like mad....hmmm

my buddy's F2 did the same thing, i think he flooded his though, we changed the plugs, and drained the fuel from the bowls...started right up after that..

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
the killer will be something dumb like not having gas in the tank, or an obviously loose wire that you will only spot when you're at home.

Then you'll want to stay awake from the gun collection for a while....

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
larddog954 : the kill switch...after that night I could be refered to as 'the Kill Switch'
So was that it?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
larddog954 : the kill switch...after that night I could be refered to as 'the Kill Switch'
oooooooooohhhhhhhh harsh! I bet you were SO mad! I have done that in a parking lot before with my F3 (first bike) and I was thinking the worst...I kept thinking deeper and deeper into the problem database...it was the damn kill switch. lucky for me I was the only one there...set me back 5 min! LOL!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
so what was the problem?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I doubt the kill switch was the problem unless there is a broken or disconnected wire in the internal workings. I did make sure that was one thing on list as I was troubleshooting at the track. The gas was also turned on. My own thought was that it got flooded. I may still have a few kinks to work out(obviously) with the carbs. The thing to remember is this, bike is like 12 years old. It has problems, but unfortunately I am just a poor white kid and couldn't afford to go out and buy a cbr 600 RR to wad up my first lap around the track. I am new to this race stuff and to the cbr F2. I guess this is how I am going to learn....the hard way!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Was it on an open trailer or on the back of a truck?

My 900RR would be really hard to start when I would travel with it. Sounds like you had the same issue, sorry you didn't get to try it out.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
is the place you took it at the same level above sea level? is it a drastic change? how was the temp compared to where you live? Has it started since?

I had BIG problems when i took the F3 from NJ to FL, turned out to be the jets in the carbs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hauled it in the back of a truck so it was subject a constant air flow the entire way. The sea level was next to no difference both around 1200 feet above. It was sort of humid that night. By the way it is running again. I had an extra set of carbs and a buddy of mine knew how pissed I was so he swaped them out the other day as kind of a surprise. He thought the needles were leaking just enough to flood it out. After sitting for two days the spark plugs were still soaking wet. Being a dumb rookie I am going to try to race it again Friday night. Maybe it will start this time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think its your floats. Be sure when you trailer it to turn off the gas. If it floods again, turn off the gas and tip it over to let the fuel drain for a second, and then try to start it with the throttle wide open. When it starts release the throttle and turn on the gas. If you have a float problem you should turn off the gas whenever you shut it off.
Mitch

·
Registered
301 Posts
I take it by driving 5 hours, you are not going to gateway? I've been thinking about taking a run down the strip, but I haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The carbs on those F2's are notorious for leaking fuel into the combustion chambers, especially during transport. Next time, shut off the fuel and run the bike until all the remaining gas is out of the carbs. Hopefully, this should fix any future starting problems.

Paul

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the good info guys. No I didn't take the bike to Gateway, I took it to Cordova Dragstrip in Cordova, IL. They have a pretty nice set-up there and it is in a small area so you can make a ton of passes in a short amount of time, plus it is cheap-only $15 to test and tune. Cordova is located 5 hours straight north of St. Louis on the IL side.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts