Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Damn it..................... Add to the list of things to do.

Have SilverBullet work the head on my 954. :eyebrows:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
11 HP for porting, not bad at all. Are the cams degreed or is that what you mean by "back to stock"?

Did you clean up the throttle bodies at all?

·
Vendor
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
11 HP for porting, not bad at all. Are the cams degreed or is that what you mean by "back to stock"?

Did you clean up the throttle bodies at all?

Headwork perfomed was shave/port/polish. Cams were not degreed, set back to stock settings. We didn't do the throttle bodies on this one.

Oh yeah, dyno runs perfomed on pump gas.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Shave? You mean the head gasket surface.. What about the timing chain slack afterwards? That's a problem with all OHC engines.

Ports? Are the stock castings that bad? I'm assuming you didn't polish the intake, just the exhaust.

Start typing there, Silverbullet! Your Homies are reading.;)

·
Banned
4,696 Posts
why did you decide to go back with the stock cams, and i thought that when you shaved the head you had to use an adjustable cam gear to get the properly timed. good looking curve on that motor though. was it an 05 or 06

i want to have mine done within the next year

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Shave? You mean the head gasket surface.. What about the timing chain slack afterwards? That's a problem with all OHC engines.

Ports? Are the stock castings that bad? I'm assuming you didn't polish the intake, just the exhaust.

That is what adjustable cam chain tensioners are used for . . .
I think most builders polish the intakes and exhaust ports, just to a lesser degree depending on the application and relative flow. Any stock casting can usually be made better if you use someone with a flow bench that knows what they are doing.

I have also seen several applications where the stock cams performed better overall than racing cams (again depending on the application).

·
Registered
375 Posts
But stock adjustable tensioners can only take up so much slack before they are at max. I know an adjustable cam gear can compensate up top (for timing).The '06 RR is about as much as you can run on pump gas now. I wonder how much was shaved off the head?

As for the polishing, I guess you can get away with more intake port polishing now that the fuel is no longer transported from a carb. Then again, you still have the shower head injectors...

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
But stock adjustable tensioners can only take up so much slack before they are at max. I know an adjustable cam gear can compensate up top (for timing).The '06 RR is about as much as you can run on pump gas now. I wonder how much was shaved off the head?

As for the polishing, I guess you can get away with more intake port polishing now that the fuel is no longer transported from a carb. Then again, you still have the shower head injectors...
I have seen custom length cam chains used for applications where the tensioner doesn't have enough adjustment. Noting from another thread about the coolness of gear driven cams, the persons touting them have obviously never shimmed up a V-Four after milling the heads :rotfl: . It makes finding valve shims seem like playing with Necco Wafers . . .

From the last 2 motors I had built (one with carbs, the other FI), both had the intakes polished including the throttle bores on both. The polishing wasn't over the top, but complimented the subtle change in shape of the intake ports required to get the flow numbers we were looking for.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Noting from another thread about the coolness of gear driven cams, the persons touting them have obviously never shimmed up a V-Four after milling the heads :rotfl: . It makes finding valve shims seem like playing with Necco Wafers . . .

Luckily I was able to get a shim set from Brian before all the HRC parts were gone for the 30. I'd hate to try and make my own, don't even know where to find .2mm shim material.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Luckily I was able to get a shim set from Brian before all the HRC parts were gone for the 30. I'd hate to try and make my own, don't even know where to find .2mm shim material.
Rick Tomzcik has several RC30 shim kits as does Brian Uchida (even though he says he doesn't). You just need to know how to ask . . .:evilaugh:

I sold 4 HRC RC30 cranks I bought from Brian (back in 95) just last year. I had a shop full of TT-F1 stuff for the RC that I finally unloaded to a German collector a couple of years ago. I had an extra set of the magnesium 41 mm carbs that paid for my RC51 . . .

·
Vendor
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you do a valve job? Sounds like there's room for a few more ponies in there. :eyebrows:
Just reseated the valves, and yes, we can do a little more.

What does a Mod like that cost?
first_home

Yes, shaving the surface. The stock timing chain still works, I took more off mine than we did on the 1000 and I'm still using the stock chain. Both intake and exhaust are polished when we do heads.

why did you decide to go back with the stock cams, ......good looking curve on that motor though. was it an 05 or 06

i want to have mine done within the next year
I can only do what the customer pays for. Abtech is dead on (as always), sometimes stock cams work better, but this customer didn't want to buy aftermarket cams. Thank you. Just give us a call when you're ready. Cycle Trendz Racing. Just don't click on my e-mail link, I know mine kills some browsers, just drop me a line here or call the shop.

I know where to go when i pick up my new 1000rr
Would be happy to give you some more horsies. 159.6 rwhp on my slightly mod'ed 954.

We have had to shave shims before because we just wanted a little more. It's fun to watch one of the shims go flying across the room. lol

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Rick Tomzcik has several RC30 shim kits as does Brian Uchida (even though he says he doesn't). You just need to know how to ask . . .:evilaugh:

I sold 4 HRC RC30 cranks I bought from Brian (back in 95) just last year. I had a shop full of TT-F1 stuff for the RC that I finally unloaded to a German collector a couple of years ago. I had an extra set of the magnesium 41 mm carbs that paid for my RC51 . . .
Brian Uchida is who I was referring to, I also bought some other HRC parts plus a manual several years ago, was also 1995 if I remember correctly.

Was the german collector Thorsten Durbahn? He's got some impressive mods for the RC30, and also some good stuff for the RC51.

I think the regular flatslides for the RC were around $3500, I can't imagine what the magnesium ones would go for today. You don't happen to have any more RC30 bits laying around the house now do you? :eyebrows:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts