Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Sure, you get to go somewhere cool like Belgium. I get to lose a week going to Korea before Christmas. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, don't think I can help your situation. My wife spent a year in Belgium many years ago, but not in that area. I hear the food is very good though. Enjoy :thumb:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The monument at site of the Battle of Waterloo is worth a detour. Very impressive.

Any of the WW1 war grave sites, Ypres for example, the Menin Gate will be memorable.

Menin Gate Memorial

Oh, and Spa Francorchamps race crcuit.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
You have to head over to the Medievel Market Square. Very cool place, to sip a beer and check out the buildings. Lots of chocolate places and trinket shops around there.

It's also like a 45 min train ride over to Waterloo if you are into military history type stuff.

The Royal Museum of the Army and Military History is located in one of the buildings of the Cinquantenaire Park. It was walking distance from my hotel so I check that one out. The day I was there a Belgian WWII US military truck enthusiast group was out showing their trucks too.

With my schedule I didn't have time, but there are several good brewery tours too.

Here's a thread from when I went.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/off-topic/40397-brussels-belgium-not-sprout.html?highlight=belgium

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Food, beer and chocolates are the things to consume or (for the last one) take home. Comme chez Soi in that thread is one possible. The best classic French cooking is in Brussels.

Agree with Proto about the war / battle memorials if you like / appreciate that kind of thing.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Prepare to be disappointed though, I seem to recall that the universal intergalactic swearword in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy was er .......... "Belgium"

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Be careful in your hotel choice. I wish I could remember the name of the one I got stuck in in Brussels. I believe their beds come from our department stores--you know, the mini beds that come to about your knees if you lay on them? I slept with my head at the top of the bed and my feet on the floor. Niiiice... There was a windmill outside, so that was quaint.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Be careful in your hotel choice. I wish I could remember the name of the one I got stuck in in Brussels. I believe their beds come from our department stores--you know, the mini beds that come to about your knees if you lay on them? I slept with my head at the top of the bed and my feet on the floor. Niiiice... There was a windmill outside, so that was quaint.
I feel your pain, Sunny. But us mutants are overlooked all throughout Europe.:D

I especially like how Euro beds are the same height as an American mattress laid on the floor. Makes for some good knee-music when getting up in the mornings.

SSG,

All the cool places were listed already except the Battle of the Bulge sites. I can look up all the places for you if you want. There's an American cemetary, a German cemetary, Bastogne (of course), Arnhem, etc...

If you're going at the right time (DEC!!!), there should be alot of tours in the Bastogne area. Battle of the Bulge was DEC-JAN 44-45.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks you's all for the input, I need to take a serious look at how much freetime I will have when there. I am sorta rushing things a bit so we will see what I can do, but I appreciate the input :thumb:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Man, sounds like a cool trip!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts