Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey this one is for Bacchus...

Ok, so last night we were sitting around the dinner table trying to figure out what value mushrooms add to a meal? Like, what is their nutritional value? Nobody knew if they were chocked full of vitamin C goodness :hmm: or if they have some sort of mineral that we need to digest to keep living. I've been eating them all these years and I have no idea what they add to my life. :idunno: :huh:

Sooo... Bacchus, you're the expert, where's the value-add?

Personally, I like mushrooms but I really don't think that when they were created they were meant to be eaten... just like mixing clams with tomato juice (Mott's Clamato), it just doesn't seem 'right'. Some things just weren't intended for consumption.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
but if you find the right type of shrooms ou will never care about such things EVER again :evilaugh:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
If you don't wash them well, they're a good source of cow shit too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
got me wondering - google said:

Many myths have been spread about mushrooms, being one of the most inaccurate that mushrooms have no nutritional value. To properly consider their nutritional benefits, they must be viewed from a dried weight perspective and give you maximum nutritional benefit only upon cooking.

Mushrooms are relatively high in protein, averaging about 20% of their dried mass. They contribute a wide range of essential amino acids, are low in fat (0.3 - 2.0%), high in fiber and provide several groups of vitamins, particularly thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, biotin, and ascorbic acid. While nutrients vary from one kind of mushroom to the next, many contain protein, vitamins A and C, B-vitamins and minerals including iron, selenium, potassium and phosphorus. Phytochemicals found in some mushrooms are being studied as possible cancer-fighting substances, according to the American Institute for Cancer Research.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/PortabellaMushrooms.htm

http://www.ivillage.com/food/experts/hltheat/qas/0,,201390_16242,00.html

p.s.
LTL - those might as well stay covered in it - that's what they taste like :rotfl:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LTL... hahah... you just made me laugh out loud. I think other people in the room think I'm retarded now.

Hmmmm.... after reading through those links, I think I'll trade in my Flintstone chewables for some Shiitakes... or maybe another type.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts