Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have no experience with synthetic seals, but as i would imagine they are made of silicone.

Rubber will age, dry out then eventually crack.
I work in an industrial facility and most oil seals on our equipment are the rubber type, and usually fair pretty well since they are not exposed to UV light from the sun.

being that your oil seals on the forks are below the dust shields either one should last for a while.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no experience with synthetic seals, but as i would imagine they are made of silicone.

Rubber will age, dry out then eventually crack.
I work in an industrial facility and most oil seals on our equipment are the rubber type, and usually fair pretty well since they are not exposed to UV light from the sun.

being that your oil seals on the forks are below the dust shields either one should last for a while.
My 929 seals (Honda) lasted 17000 miles. Then I tried Italian seal from Parts Unlimited they lasted 10000 miles / 18 months...not happy with that!
There was a post with a link to Pyramid Parts for seals (rubber) cost 18.00 shipped. was hoping someone has tried the Pyramid's.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
My 929 seals (Honda) lasted 17000 miles. Then I tried Italian seal from Parts Unlimited they lasted 10000 miles / 18 months...not happy with that!
There was a post with a link to Pyramid Parts for seals (rubber) cost 18.00 shipped. was hoping someone has tried the Pyramid's.
Considering how rarely you need to replace fork seals I would always recommend staying with OEM seals.
The only reason to go aftermarket is if you can't get OEM.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just replaced my fork seals with the OEM Honda ones. Everyone I talked to recommended the same thing. BTW, it was an easy job. I did take them to the dealer for them so bang in the new seals though (with their fork seal driver), but it only took them 2 mins and they did it for free.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just replaced my fork seals with the OEM Honda ones. Everyone I talked to recommended the same thing. BTW, it was an easy job. I did take them to the dealer for them so bang in the new seals though (with their fork seal driver), but it only took them 2 mins and they did it for free.
Your lucky I do my forks & take them to the Honda shop,cost 10.00..I am going to make the PVC seal installer tool & try it,saves a trip to the shop. Guess I'll go with OEM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.