Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, (apologies if this is posted in the wrong section)

The tyres on my 1998 RRW 900RR look like they could do with a change soon. Does anyone have any advice or info on WHAT BRAND is best to put on?

My riding is purely in town/commuting, with the odd/rare long journey.

I researched it a bit, and found Diablos to be the best. It didn't specify WHICH Diablos mind you.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Kind thanks!
S

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Most, if not all, tyres will be OK.

I used Pirelli Diablo front / Diablo Strada rear for a good few miles and they were OK. So was the Diablo front with a Metzeler Z6 rear.

I currently have a Metzeler M3 front, which seems OK. I used it with a Michelin PR2 rear, and now an Avon Storm Ultra 2 rear.

I have an Avon VP2 front ready to fit when it's needed.

In short, I have no preference really. The Diablos are good, you won't go wrong there. I like to use a Sport/Touring (aka Road) tyre for the extra mileage I get.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Des.

I've currently got Metzelers, although I wouldn't rant and rave about them TBH.

Had Dunlops before on a Ninja that were exceptional in the rain.

The best ever tyres I've felt, were on a Fireblade 2000 model - and were Bridgestones. I went around a small tight roundabout, and it was as if the bike was floating. It was as smooth and light as anything...

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I had BT010's on my bie when I got it, TBH I don't really like Bridgestones - although I would use them if I found some cheap enough. They do the BT016 in the 16" front. A mate had them on his RRX and liked them.

Dunlop have the Qualifier 2 in the 16" front size, they might be worth a try.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I have a Diablo supercorsa on the rear of my 99. The front was a cheap tire that came with the bike.

The supercorsa has great grip, but the life is something that would keep me away from it. Especially If its just cruising around.

Track then I would run them myself.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
My riding is purely in town/commuting, with the odd/rare long journey.
Currently have Metzelers, but was thinking to try somehing different/better.

What about a matching pair of Pirelli Diablos?
For the use you mention, anything will be good enough. In what way do you want them to be better than the Metzelers?

If you fancy the Diablos then give them a go. To be honest, there aren't that many tyres to choose from, from what I have found. And motorcycle tyres don't last long either. Worst case scenario, you put on a set and hate them - in a few thousand miles they'll be knackered anyway. Then you can try something else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, 98 owner here. I am on the hunt for some new tyres and this thread came up in Google. I found a guide here that shows all the tyres still available in a 16" front. Just wondering if any of you have run the BT-016 and if so, what do you think to them?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
At the moment I'd choose Bridgestone S21 - they were standard fit on the 1000 model in the 2010's - a pair are going on my RR-R shortly too.

I have had S21's on the 1000, and now have S22's which are better again but no 16 inch option and reckon the Bridgestone's are great choice and work well on Honda's. They have now done 4,000 miles of continental riding, and fast UK riding, and riding in some absolute complete downpours and were very confidence inspiring in the wet.

I have Diablo's on the 929 (17 inch front) but not super impressed, and feel 'strange' but perhaps its after riding on Bridgestone.

just my 2 pennies worth

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I have S21's on my bikes and I really like them. I did run with Metzlers for years. It was time for new tires
and I heard good things about S21"s so I gave them a try. I'm glad that I did. I recommend them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts