Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the best way also the cheapest? I just got my Bt010's. I heard it is cheaper if u take the old tires and rims off and bring them into the dealer.

I never took off both tires, how difficult is this?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Well, if you have the ability to pull your own wheels it saves about $45 (about 1/2) at the local shops.

Fortuanly I have a buddy that does it for me for $26.  Last time I rode to his place (had tires drop-shipped) and pulled the wheels there with his lift and tools.

How hard?  Not hard at all IF you can get the bike off the ground without a lift or having to pull plastic (like I did).  You do have to pull front rotors but it's a breeze.  Rear is abit of a pain to get the rear brake lined up again but not too bad.

I think it's most economical to pull the wheels and take them in, but if you are not a cheap-ass like me then just dropped off the whole schmere and writing a nice check ($85 in these parts) that's what I would do.

I love wrenching on my bike (that's why I sold the Honda.. not enough maintenance required) so for me pulling the wheels was a bit of a plus.  

I know I have pictures around here somewhere...

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Holeshot :  You do have to pull front rotors but it's a breeze.  
You remove the rotors every time you change tires?  Why???  

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, you guys got me thinking now, maybe i will try it, i have front and rear stands so that should be all i need to keep the bike up without tires right?

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I most of the time do take my rotors off... The ones I have are straight as an arrow and unless i know and trust the guy doing it, off they come!

But as long as they aren't propping the wheel up on the rotor on the wall, should be fine.

And yes, if you have a front and rear stand, thats all you need while the wheels are off the bike...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Last time I hauled in just the wheels to get tires changed, I took the rotors off, the shop said they can't balance them without the rotors

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Mattress : Last time I hauled in just the wheels to get tires changed, I took the rotors off, the shop said they can't balance them without the rotors
sigh, I don't really like dumb people...

The Tire guy at Jennings, LEON, did my tires and he balanced them and did ask about the rotors, but only because they weren't there... I told him I had only brought one set with me that had been bead blasted... He didn't have a problem with it.

He told me it was pretty much the wheel you had to worry about also, the tire was a small %tage and everything else was negligible...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Red Rider : Quote (Holeshot @ May 31 2003, 6:43pm) You do have to pull front rotors but it's a breeze.  
You remove the rotors every time you change tires?  Why???  
DOH!! I mean the calipers. Crap. Typing before thinking. Good catch!

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
I take my wheels in only.  Saves me about $100  Front tire is an absolute breeze to remove and put back on.  Back one is even easier to remove, but harder to align.

EDIT: Holeshot....what kind of lift is that, and how are you supporting the bike without crushing the exhaust?? I thought lifts like that didn't work on sportbikes because of the exhaust being in the way

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
It's an Easy-Lift from England. Works fine sportbikes. There are number of different attachments that cradle the exhaust.

The stock exhaust on the CBR was more than strong enough for the lift. Had not problems and the high-density rubber on the tops of the brackets prevents any scratches.

To secure the bike to the lift it uses an articulated bracket which traps the sidestand. It's really pretty solid.

I would have used the Pit Bulls but my front stand is STILL ona dock 1 1/2 hous away in Seattle and althought some pople I know have carried their bitbull on the bike I wast not going to.

I'm not sure if it would be usefull on V-twins though. The VFR and the CBR both have enough exhaust under there to notworry about but I'd not want to put all that weight on a single pipe.

On a side note... I'll find out sound. The new ride has SuperCorsa tires on it (black pensil errasers basically) and I'm going to swap that out to M1's or BT012's for my 5000 miles trip to CA in... ooooh.. 34 days, 21 hours!!! I hope I can figure out a way to get the wheels off!

- DH

·
Registered
525 Posts
Shop A: Charges $20 if you bring the wheel in alone and mounts the tire. You must do every thing else

Shop B: Charges $37.50 Drop the bike off, they mount and balance the tire, and adjust the chain

For my lazy ass I would rather have them do it + I trust some one who knows what their doing vs me who does not.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
ND4SPDSHO : I take my wheels in only.  Saves me about $100  Front tire is an absolute breeze to remove and put back on.  Back one is even easier to remove, but harder to align.
It seems if you get your tires changed a few times by just taking in the wheels, front and rear stands will pay for themselves

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
For the last few years, I have dropped off my rims at a nearby shop. They did great work, and I trusted them, but they would only mount tires they sold. This meant that although I was saving money by doing the wheels myself, I could not take advantage of internet tire pricing.

This year a friend of mine picked up the necessary tools to mount and balance tires. Wish we had done that a long time ago....its not a difficult job, just a little elbow grease.

The beauty is, you can mount up a premium set of tires in an afternoon for about $200 - $250....very cool.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Doing tires is not rocket science. A few things need to be done and checked and away you go. MC tires (that are not raced at competetive levels) are amazingly tollerant to minor imbalance issues. However I would not just mount a tire and go without performing some balancing.

My pal has a $1500 setup in his shop (all manual though) and it works great. He's done tons of tires and everyone is thrilled at the cost ($13 each R/R) and the service. Not many shops have the latest racing playing and a cold craft-beer or to for you while he works the tire magic.

Last time I just had the tires shipped to him, came over after work mid-week, I took my bike apart, handed him the wheels and he handed them back with new hides. Piece of cake (aside from Honda's BODYWORK FASTENER FREAKSHOW&#33

- D

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yeah, it we neccesary to get it on his lift. He's mainly a VFR dude so he did not have a conventional rear-stand. I *THOUGHT* it would be no big deal but we had to rull the bike onto blocks, then remove the lower to get the brackets safely on the exhaust (the rear of the lowers would not allow us to slide in the rear pad). SUCKED! 5 different fasteners.. FIVE! WTF!?!??!! The VFR was such a BREEZE in comparison to do pull lowers. Really, that was my only complaint about the CBR.

- D
(now totally loving the fact this yellow thing has only ONE type of fasterner - Dzus).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts