Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what is the best way to ship heavy items, say, a V8 engine block? I have some parts Id like to list on ebay but am afraid that limiting to 'local pickup only' will kill the amount of money I get for them. Anybody have experience with this? I have no idea where to start here. :confused:

·
Registered
803 Posts
You might check in the newsgroup rec.games.video.arcade.collecting. I haven't been in there in a while, but that is a common topic, and one that comes up often, as fullsize arcade games are large, heavy, and not easily boxed. That being said, I would think that strapping it to a pallet and letting a freight company haul it would be your best or only solution. The recipient will most likely have to pick it up at the freight terminal, it just depends on the freight company and how much the person wants to spend.

Forward Air was used quite a bit when I was more active in the rgvac group.
Fig

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Fed Ex Freight is expensive. Forward Air has always been the best. I've shipped 3 bikes and 2 engines through them. The only downside is you have to go to the nearest hub to pickup or drop off.

As a comparison Fed Ex Freight wanted $300+ for an engine while Forward air was only $79. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Strap it to a pallet and call a freight company like Yellow, etc. Price shoube be based off weight versus cubic feet it takes up, the denser, the cheaper.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
DHL is cheap, but that's if you don't want insurance, and also never want to see your item again....asshats

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
G-Force Junkie said:
Strap it to a pallet and call a freight company like Yellow, etc. Price shoube be based off weight versus cubic feet it takes up, the denser, the cheaper.
I've used Yellow several times to ship big stuff. Of course it helps that my mother is an office manager at one of their large terminals.

mattress said:
DHL is cheap, but that's if you don't want insurance, and also never want to see your item again....asshats
I used DHL to ship tax paperwork from Germany to Tennessee last year, paid 51 euro ($60) for delivery within 4-7 days, and my wife received it 3 weeks later with a post mark from the Cayman Islands. :thumbd:

·
Registered
871 Posts
G-Force Junkie said:

Thats what I'd do also. Some dealers on the internet ship dirt bikes in crates for 285.00 ,all 48 states. engine block in a crate can't be more than 50.00, just a guess

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
oldgoat said:
Thats what I'd do also. Some dealers on the internet ship dirt bikes in crates for 285.00 ,all 48 states. engine block in a crate can't be more than 50.00, just a guess
Since when is a V8 engine block, lighter than a dirt bike?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
EDDIE110171 said:
Since when is a V8 engine block, lighter than a dirt bike?
Like my post said, its not just the weight, its the density. A 280 pound engine block can be on a 3x3x3 foot box= 27 cubic feet. a 250 pound dirt bike crate is probaly 6 x 3 x 4=72 cubic feet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts