Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: I am a retard. There is no problem.

Original post:

Ello,
So I installed the bestem undertail for my 954rr. : Honda CBR954RR Undertail 2002-2003 Black

It is absolutely beautiful. I love it even more than I thought I would. And the woes of hard install/poor fitting? Idk man, fit perfect for me. So long as I fix this one issue.

When I installed I thought it was weird that it simply says to connect the led lights, and does not mention a relay. When I used my previous led blinkers on the stock undertail it required relays. But I figured, I will do things by the book first, and use my own reasoning later so long as I followed original instructions first. To my surprise, the turn signals blink fine, they dont go solid like my other ones did... everything looks fine... except the right running light is about 65% brightness of the left running light. Once, I saw it just magically go to full brightness. I assumed then that there was a short somewhere. The wires do nothing, no short. Re-soldered and played around and found nothing. The right blinker, right brake light, all look fine.

But then I noticed, when I turned my high beams on, the right running light drops to like 30% brightness. It gets really dim. I am using a white LED low beam and I have stock yellow halogens running on the high beams.

Do I need resistors? On the running? Is it my rectifier? Did I commit unspeakable stupidity? Does my new undertail eat the poopoo?

I have not run the bike for a while, looked at the tail while running. I have only looked at the tail with the key on and also having just started the bike, and no visible change.

Please send help. I know nothing and barely follow instructions.

Thank you! =)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would appear that I am an idiot;
After dicking around with grounds (to no avail) for a half hour, I ran the bike... and the running light brightness appears to be the same while running. I thought I had checked this before.

Anyway. For $100 you can't go wrong... I have the license plate currently hidden down by the shock but I have a little plate holder bracket that attaches where the spools go incoming. The cops in my area are chill but I think I am now pushing my luck, and I don't want to put holes in the new undertail for a license plate holder... it would also totally defeat the look. So.

Yyyyeah. I think this thread may be pointless boys and girls. My apologies.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: it is not actually solved. It just so happened to come on when the bike was on. It is continuing to show dim on the right side while running.

Checked voltage @ the bike off, then running, at 4-5k rpm, and after running a while and getting up to temp, and voltage looked good and strong. It does drop a bit with the high beams. And my rear right light gets super dim with the high beams on.

Im tempted to buy a ricks hot shot r/r but I will be investigating the ground block and r/r wires etc here in a bit. Just been really busy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dont think it's the R/R as you have a bright headlight , still wiring I would think
Yeah. Will keep looking into things. Might have to continue on Wednesday. Have a lot going on and I need to relax on my days off and its draining working in the garage in this heat. I did make two other posts in my other thread, originally thinking I was replying to this one lol: Honda CBR 954 Electrical Glitch posts #26 and #27

I wish I could condense all my stuff into one thread.

I did also realize that my aftermarket pipes do have a plug for an o2 sensor spot.
Its got what looks like this in it: Leo Vince SBK Lambda Sensor Plug

I will check and see if theres a spot for an o2 sensor on the wiring harness, and then I will lift the tank again, at the very least to check and clean the ground on the engine. If there is a spot on the harness for one, do you think it'd be a good idea to get one and plug it in?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Check this out,
Looks like someone might have already sorted the wires Lambda fault codes are 21 and 23 or there might never of been one there

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it looks like all of these woes were the undertail light wiring, itself. Yesterday I realized that the right light wasn't showing at all. I touched the wires and it would flicker on and off. I moved the wires just a little and the ground wire fell right out of the light. All the wires come out of a little pinhole in the back and I can't just re-wire it unless I dremel the back off.

I asked the distributor on ebay "cruiserbackrest" if there was a way to get replacement lights, as the lights on the bestem undertail seem much nicer/brighter than the hotbodies ones and I could only find the hotbodies replacements. I was told I am getting sent a replacement light for free. All this worry over nothing. Can't wait for it to be fixed, because the undertail is beautiful.

Wanted to give a shout out to the distributor "cruiserbackrest" on ebay for being awesome and doing a solid and replacing the light unit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So it looks like all of these woes were the undertail light wiring, itself. Yesterday I realized that the right light wasn't showing at all. I touched the wires and it would flicker on and off. I moved the wires just a little and the ground wire fell right out of the light. All the wires come out of a little pinhole in the back and I can't just re-wire it unless I dremel the back off.

I asked the distributor on ebay "cruiserbackrest" if there was a way to get replacement lights, as the lights on the bestem undertail seem much nicer/brighter than the hotbodies ones and I could only find the hotbodies replacements. I was told I am getting sent a replacement light for free. All this worry over nothing. Can't wait for it to be fixed, because the undertail is beautiful.

Wanted to give a shout out to the distributor "cruiserbackrest" on ebay for being awesome and doing a solid and replacing the light unit.
Pics?? I'd like to see this installed on the bike. I'm in the market for a new undertail

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a pic for you...

Love this undertail. Got the replacement light installed. Ive seen many people complain about their hotbodies undertail being ill-fitting and the lights being dim. This bestem one for me fit perfect with both oem and aftermarket tail fairings, and the lights are very bright.

I will say however, the fairing push tabs that hold it in don't hold the whole thing perfectly in place. I think I just need a different size. It has a little bit of move to it up at the tip. But I just added a dab of clear silicone on the left and right sides near the tip. Holds solid now, silicone can be pulled up easy and no need to add extra holes and crap.

The only thing I wish I did, is I wish I bought an extra oem tail light and used the connector to wire the undertail to, so it can be simply disconnected if I want to go back to oem. I soldered it to the wiring loom. Oof. Oh well, I don't want to get rid of it anyway.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts