Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this is quite a general qn., so apologies if this belongs elsewhere.

I'm looking at a used 954, 9 mths. old, with 1600 miles on the clock. It's in perfect condition-only thing is that it has never had it's 1st 600 mile service. I don't know why the guy never got it done, it's been well looked after otherwise.

Anyway, I've read some posts on here on break in procedure, and obviously this bike has had a less than ideal break in :rolleyes: , but do any of you who have knowledge of this kind of thing know if the bike should be steered clear of altogether or not?

TIA, mu

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
mu-shim said:

I'm looking at a used 954, 9 mths. old, with 1600 miles on the clock. It's in perfect condition-only thing is that it has never had it's 1st 600 mile service. I don't know why the guy never got it done, it's been well looked after otherwise.

Anyway, I've read some posts on here on break in procedure, and obviously this bike has had a less than ideal break in :rolleyes: , but do any of you who have knowledge of this kind of thing know if the bike should be steered clear of altogether or not?

TIA, mu
If you want it, buy it after the owner has the dealer do the 600 mile service and has verified the warranty can still be in force.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
It is a Honda. Change the oil immediately, inspect the fluids, and check torque settings on the major stuff all the way around the bike. It should be fine as long as the prior owner wasn't a stunna.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It should be fine. You don't have to have the dealer do the service to keep the waranty in effect. You can do it yourself. I would change the oil and look everything over. The owners manual tells you everything you need to check.
That said, you could ask the owner to have the service done.

Steve

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for feedback so far - much appreciated.

The warranty issue isn't so important to me, and I can get the first service done by the garage that sold it.

My main concern/question is about potential long term damage to the engine due to missing the oil/filter change at 600 miles.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
mu-shim said:

The warranty issue isn't so important to me, and I can get the first service done by the garage that sold it.

My main concern/question is about potential long term damage to the engine due to missing the oil/filter change at 600 miles.

You're going to get a lot of different opinions on the issue of oil change frequency....

I, personally, wouldn't worry about the bike missing the first service.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
While in my opinion the first oil change is most important, I doubt it will hurt the long term durability. Use this as a bargaining tool to buy the bike, get it home, and immediately change the oil and filter. Only use a good filter BTW, Honda brand filters and Purolator are good, I like K&N's too.

BTW, if you change the oil the first time, don't be alarmed if the oil comes out looking like bassboat metallic paint from suspended metal particles. That's normal for break in oil.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
sl954 said:
It should be fine. You don't have to have the dealer do the service to keep the waranty in effect. You can do it yourself. I would change the oil and look everything over. The owners manual tells you everything you need to check.
That said, you could ask the owner to have the service done.

Steve
The issue is not whether the dealer performs the service. Its the fact that there was no service done. This needs to be reconciled with the warranty requirements. I'm not sure how/if the warranty would be impacted by it.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
mu-shim said:

HE should pay for the service, that was more my point since it has been his bike up till the time he sells it. I'd make it a requirment of the sale. Thats just me though :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
mu-shim said:

TIA, mu
My bike hasnt seen a service in 17k miles :thumb: and is still running as strong as the day i bought it :thumb:

·
Registered
121 Posts
figment said:
The issue is not whether the dealer performs the service. Its the fact that there was no service done. This needs to be reconciled with the warranty requirements. I'm not sure how/if the warranty would be impacted by it.
how on earth would Honda know whether or not he had done the service in his own garage?

As others have said, change the oil and don't worry about it. I would insist that he pay for the dealer to do the service (especially since you are supposed to check the valves at 600, no?), and also to knock a little money off the price, but otherwise, I doubt there has been any damage. My bigger concern would be whether he also ignored the rev guidelines during break-in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
the bike should be fine, no long term damage is guaranteed. you did not go very long without an oil change, 1,600 miles breakin period or not isnt a whole lot at all.... the oil itself hasnt begun to breakdown, thats the main point- its still lubing the motor ;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
First off i can say that i have a very extensive mechanical background, mostly self taught. so take that as you will. Being a racer you just start to know your machine inside and out and every little noise that it makes.
I broke my bike in correctly easy on the enigine for about 400 miles and then changed the oil and rode it like i was going to ride it. after that my oil has been changed on time every 2k miles or so. The only service this bike has seen is oil changes and new OEM spark plugs at 16.5k that were a very nice light tan color meaning the bike was running perfect. not to lean and not to rich. As ive mentioned in other post it was just dynoed at 146.3 Hp. :thumb: Honda makes some very solid bikes and im not ready to pay some mechanic 600 bucks to do a Full Honda tune up.. :nono: That is somethin im very capable of doing myself as ive read that honda service manuel from cover to cover a dozen times :smilebig:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
figment said:
Thanks again- interesting responses.

Update- I have spoken to the garage that sold the bike originally, and they will do the first service for free, and stamp the book for the warranty, although I'll definitely change the oil/filter the minute I get my hands on it. I've negotiated the price down to cover paying for the oil and filter.

I managed to speak to a local guy here today who tunes/builds race engines, and breaks them in on the dyno- he's very knowledgeable and helpful. He said he would have no worries about potential mechanical effects on the engine at that mileage. He was saying that he's broken in and then stripped down plenty of 'blade engines, and that there's hardly any swarf there- excellently engineered was his opinion :)

I thought this was interesting- he said that if it was a Kawasaki engine that had gone past the 600 miles, he'd be concerned. :eyebrows:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts