Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So out of nowhere today, I start my bike up to ride it to the insurance inspection place, and when I pull it out of my shed and only my driveway and park it, it starts running rough, and the guages start flickering on and off.

It seems to stay running (barely) and I can give it gas and it revs smoothly, but every so often now when it's idling it sounds like its going to die, and those guages just keep coming on and off completely.

I took it for a ride around the block, and I can't keep running smoothly at the same rpm, its like bucking and cutting out, but not quite dying.

I know these symptoms are vague, but does anyone have any idea what it might be?

I'm by no means a expert on these things, but if I was to guess, I'd think that maybe one of the plugs is fouled and not firing every so often. Possible?

Thanks

Dan :(

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
It sounds electrical. Do you have a power commander? If so, remove it and see how the bike runs.

I vote a bad battery or bad, intermittent, ground as your problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice,

I don't have a power commander, so its def. not that

Sometimes it idles just fine, but even if it idles fine, when i start to ride it, it starts to run rough, sputtering, but I can still rev it up high.

I'll take a multimeter to the battery and see where she's at when the bikes off.

I'm curious about this common ground wire issue. The wire just "goes bad" ?

NinerPilot, can you explain a bit more about your issue? You took a wire from the negative terminal on the battery and spliced it into the wiring harness and it temporarily solved your problem?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
If your battery is in bad shape, it will be a lousy ground.

It is not common, but grounding problems do happen...and when they do it's exactly the kind of funky weirdness you're having.

There is a chassis ground for the harness near the battery. Make sure that bolt is tight and not corroded, or it sucks...don't ask how I know. :crap:

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
First off, check and make sure the battery cables are tight. A loose connection can cause this as well. Then if at all possible try another battery as testing the ground wire is a PITA.

To do it, I guess for short term all you need to do is find the connector where the main harness and the front harness connects. On the 929 it is under the right "ram air" cover. Take a length of automotive wire (unsure on gauge) and connect it to the ground up there, which I believe is green, and the (-) battery cable. Then go for a ride and see how it is. For this test, your jump wire can run above the tank as long as it keeps a good connection at both ends.
Chris

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tightened up the cables, and I can't reproduce the problem. They werent falling off, but there was def. room for them to be tighter.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
similar thing happened to me when the stator died on the 1000RR, had to hold the RPM above 5000 for enough juice to keep the gauges on and the engine didn't really behave all that well. Progressively got worse as hte battery was sucked dry.

So I'd also check the stator and regulator.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
doesnt a vehicle still run fine when started and a battery removed? I ask because doesnt the alternator/stator provide all power once the bike is started?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
stegen said:
doesnt a vehicle still run fine when started and a battery removed? I ask because doesnt the alternator/stator provide all power once the bike is started?
taking the battery out would cut the curcuit so no it wouldn't run.....also you are assuming that the alternator/stator/regulator are in good condition and doing thier job, which might not be the case in this situation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts