Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Bike Turned on for a few seconds and now it's Dead

4K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  RRDemon 
#1 ·
So, I go downstairs to start my CBR1000rr (08) this morning and here are the chain of events.

- I install the rear pillion seat after removing my helmet from it.
- I mount the bike and pull up the kickstand.
- I put the key in the ignition, turn the key to the on position.
- I can't remember if I could hear the fuel pipe engage.
- The dash lights up, head light turns on and the status lights on the dash go on for a few seconds.
- I turn the kill-switch on.
- I hit the starter button and there is no response, engine doesn't kick over, there is no sound from the engine.
- The orange backlight on the dash flickers and all lights (Dash, headlight turn off.

- Now the bike doesn't start or turn on at all. Even after trying to turn it off and on, removing and re-inserting the key etc. In both kill-switch off and on positions there is no lights on the dash.

Yesterday, I rode the bike for hours without any issues. This is the first time I've had an issue on the bike. The previous seller replaced the battery a few months ago for which I have the receipt.

Can anyone help me?

See less See more
#2 ·
Leave the killswitch on, if you use it all the time it will fail.
Charge the battery and do the tests of the charging system.

#3 ·
Do not use the killswitch on a daily basis. It is actually there as an emergency procedure for a runaway bike, cuts fuel pump off for a quick kill. Simply turn your key off to turn the bike off. Check your fuses. It sounds like you blew the main fuse, which will result in everything turning off. Also check your headlight fuse, as a lot of Hondas will not start with a blown headlight fuse.

#8 ·
Ask yourself why do you use it?
Most people use it simply because it's there.
Read the Owner's Manual it will tell you the same as I did - it is for emergency use only.

#7 ·
They were never designed to be used as a way to turn your motorcycle off. Their intended purpose was to give you an emergency method of turning the bike off should the throttle stick open or something along those lines.

#9 ·
if not a charging system issue, my vote goes to the fuse in the starter solenoid its not in the fuse box it should be located under the front seat. idk if the 08 1000 has one
forsure but am going to go out on a limb an say it does.every cbr ive worked on so far has had one from f2 to the 954.

#10 ·
Fuse is the only reason I could see to completely lose power all at once. I know when I checked out the RC51 it blew the headlight fuse, the fuel pump would prime, lights came on, tach etc.. worked, just not the starter button. With everything being off as he described I would assume that the main fuse has blown, I think it's a 30 amp or something like that. Fuses get old and actually pop easier as they tend to corrode a hair bit inside. There is a very thin element that the power flows through, and as it gets older, vibrated to death over years, and exposed to the elements it can and will weaken to the point of popping without true fault. Seen this happen many times. Run over all your fuses, and replace every one if you feel like it. I'm putting my money on a fuse being blown though, for the record.

#11 ·
Fuse is the only reason I could see to completely lose power all at once. I know when I checked out the RC51 it blew the headlight fuse, the fuel pump would prime, lights came on, tach etc.. worked, just not the starter button. With everything being off as he described I would assume that the main fuse has blown, I think it's a 30 amp or something like that. Fuses get old and actually pop easier as they tend to corrode a hair bit inside. There is a very thin element that the power flows through, and as it gets older, vibrated to death over years, and exposed to the elements it can and will weaken to the point of popping without true fault. Seen this happen many times. Run over all your fuses, and replace every one if you feel like it. I'm putting my money on a fuse being blown though, for the record.

exactly :D, he also states he rode the bike for hours the day before

#12 ·
Ok Guys, So I took the seat off and went through all the fuses, All of them including the main fuse look damage-free and the metal element inside all of them seems intact.

To be on the safe side, I replaced a few of the fuses including the main fuse. Still, no power. I removed the battery and tried to measure the voltage across it using my multimeter but that just fried my multimeter cables.

I think I need to have it plugged into the bike to measure it. Any other tips?

#13 ·
The battery does not need to be connected, and I can't see any way for it to damage your meter.
Have you tried jumping the bike off a car battery?

#16 ·
Ok Guys I think it could have been a loose connector or false ground somewhere because when i connected the battery back in. The bike started working again. A bit strange, I tried swapping out the Fuses (including main) again to see if i can see the issue again but issue no longer appears.

It could have been a loose cable somewhere? I had to fidget the cables a bit to get to a screw I dropped. Then when I connected the positive terminal to the battery again the bike turned on as expected. Any thoughts?

#17 ·
Ok Guys I think it could have been a loose connector or false ground somewhere because when i connected the battery back in. The bike started working again. A bit strange, I tried swapping out the Fuses (including main) again to see if i can see the issue again but issue no longer appears.

It could have been a loose cable somewhere? I had to fidget the cables a bit to get to a screw I dropped. Then when I connected the positive terminal to the battery again the bike turned on as expected. Any thoughts?

look for corrosion both on the battery post and starter solenoid. only thing i can think other then loose wires. yes ive had my daily driver not start all of son one day do to dirty terminals

#18 ·
Yup, follow the battery cables (both) to where they terminate and check the connections there, tighten even if it does not seem to need it. Does not take much to lose the connection, even when it seems like it is connected....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.