Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I can tell you from experience that it takes a significantly elevated closing speed on behalf of a motorcycle to intrude that far into the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle. That's a tremendous amount of what we call "crush" ... even considering the cage is a cheap looking econo-box.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
My guess is 80-100mph, but I could be off. My sister used to have one of those little pencil sharpener sized cars. The whole front of the car crumpled from a 15mph slide into a telephone pole. Floorboards crushed, A-pillar crushed, air bags never deployed.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
That was actually posted on one of the local car forums I visit
MCCR forums

one of the members claims to know the rider and he is not too seriuosly hurt.
was actually a friend of mine on the bike. happened on springy rd a couple of weeks ago... he practically had both arms broken off and 1 of his legs... the guy that was driving the car is in critical condition.... weird how the guy in the car came out worse...

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
My guess....60-70mph at impact....

I've seen a ZX7 hit a larger car (taurus) at around 80, and it completely flipped the car over.... :crap:

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
So, the moral of the story is, if a car is gonna pull out in front of you, make sure you are doing over 100mph, at least the driver will get properly hurt too...

Z...

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
I dunno Baccy, I wouldn't hazard a guess based on a lone still photo. That's a bad looking accident though...

I'm skeptical of the notion the rider wasn't hurt much. Looks like a sure fatal to me ... and with that level of intrusion into the automobile, the rate of survival inside the passenger compartment would be fairly small as well.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Bacchus said:
Give us your professional, educated guess Chain. Seriously, I am very curious. You could probably nail it down to within 10 MPH, no?
An Actar reconstructionist (my best friend is one) could tell you within that close or closer a range IF he were there and could employ any number of investigatory techniques in what would be a pretty indepth inquiry into the crash.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think the bike looks photochopped into the car... All car wrecks in the media/newspapers (at least here in Norway) have their picture taken after it has been chopped by the rescue guys, so that it looks REALLY bad in pics... And the new speeding fines just got released.. We are converting to a "point system" where you get 3 points for speeding plus everything from 500Nok/75$ to 890$ in fines.. depending on the speed exceeding the limit.. A couple more years, and public hanging/guilliotine will probably be what you have to choose from after speeding on a bike. The limit before loosing your permit is now 8-9 points... Sucks BIBTIME:crying:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts