Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my bike back to ohio after ive been up in rhode island for the summer. it started good up there, but i wasnt aloud to ride it so it sat for about 2 months up there not started. so i changed the battery, dumped out the old gas and put fresh gas in, changed the plugs and it doesnt want to run. took off the air filter and sprayed starter fluid on the intake and it started rite up and revved at about 7 grand. so i think it might have somthing to do with the fuel??, also does a 1999 cbr 900 rr have a fuel pump? dont hear it prime so i'm not sure if the pump isnt letting fuel get to the engine? thanks

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Im not sure if the tank has a petcock valve, if yes; check if its open.

Check your fuel filter.
Disassemble your carbs and spray carb cleaner into every jet.
Check to see if your killswitch contacts are solid.

....doesnt every bike have a fuel pump?

·
Registered
138 Posts
just got my bike back to ohio after ive been up in rhode island for the summer. it started good up there, but i wasnt aloud to ride it so it sat for about 2 months up there not started. so i changed the battery, dumped out the old gas and put fresh gas in, changed the plugs and it doesnt want to run. took off the air filter and sprayed starter fluid on the intake and it started rite up and revved at about 7 grand. so i think it might have somthing to do with the fuel??, also does a 1999 cbr 900 rr have a fuel pump? dont hear it prime so i'm not sure if the pump isnt letting fuel get to the engine? thanks
Not sure if the 900 has a fuel pump, but my '99 F4 has one - and did the same thing when mine went out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how hard would be to clean the carbs, ya about the petcock, fuel wont come out when feul switch is on, bet when u suck through the hose with a line on the vent, gas will come out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cleaning the carbs is pretty much a pain in the ass. And they'd have to be REALLY gunked up to stop it from starting. On my 600 the fuel pump is on the right side - next to the rear brake reservoir. I'm betting yours is too. Put +12v to it and see if it makes noise. Much easier than fighting with those carbs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so my bike has a fuel pump!?, wasnt 100% cuz it mentioned nothing of it in my handbook, we've gone through so much **** and really hoping its the carbs, why would i be able to start it with started fluid and not gas, does that have anything to do with carbs?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Okay, maybe it doesn't have one.. Looks like it was removed in the 96-99 models. At least it's not on the wiring diagram:

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/attachments/honda-fireblade/25811d1182464079-wiring-diagrams-93-95-98-99-900rr-98-99-wiring-diagram-900rr.jpg

And I don't see it on Bikebandit.com or Ronayers.com microfiche's.

In that case I would replace the fuel filter and disassemble and clean the petcock. Also check the vacuum line going to the petcock.

It definitely sounds like it's not getting any fuel - which is why it runs off of starting fluid. Don't do that too much, by the way.. the starting fluid will wash the oil off of the cylinder walls causing wear.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Okay, maybe it doesn't have one.. Looks like it was removed in the 96-99 models. At least it's not on the wiring diagram:

Yes, 98-99 CBR900RR's dont have fuel pumps. The fuel 'filter' is inside the tank, you see it when you remove the petcock.

If you suck vacuum line coming to petcock you can see if the petcock lets fuel pass.

Definetely sounds like bike is not getting any gasoline.

-J-

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was thinking about that, if i take off the petcock, will there be a gasket to keep fuel from coing out, will i need any specials tools to put it back in? thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts