Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I recently purchsed (couple months) a 2005 cbr1000. Bike has been running and driving fine. Previous owner crashed it and the sub frame was a little tweaked. I ordered a replacement sub frame and installed it last night, bike ran fine before sub frame install but wont fire up at all after. Checked all the electrical connections and everything is connected.

Bike powers on, will prime the fuel pump, and the engine will turn over when the starter button is pressed. i have no FI lights on or anyting out of the ordinary happening other than the no start issue.

Mods to the bike are Power Commander 3 and a Jardine Exhaust.
The power commander does power on and do its self test/initial start and responds to throttle position.

ANY thoughts or Insight on a possible issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Clayton

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Hi! I recently purchsed (couple months) a 2005 cbr1000. Bike has been running and driving fine. Previous owner crashed it and the sub frame was a little tweaked. I ordered a replacement sub frame and installed it last night, bike ran fine before sub frame install but wont fire up at all after. Checked all the electrical connections and everything is connected.

Bike powers on, will prime the fuel pump, and the engine will turn over when the starter button is pressed. i have no FI lights on or anyting out of the ordinary happening other than the no start issue.

Mods to the bike are Power Commander 3 and a Jardine Exhaust.
The power commander does power on and do its self test/initial start and responds to throttle position.

ANY thoughts or Insight on a possible issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Clayton

Are you talking front or rear subframe?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Sounds like it has to be electrical. You probably didn't unhook any fuel lines right? Pump primes, starter is engaging, just no fire...
I would try bypassing the PowerCommander and see what happens then. That's all i got...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like it has to be electrical. You probably didn't unhook any fuel lines right? Pump primes, starter is engaging, just no fire...
I would try bypassing the PowerCommander and see what happens then. That's all i got...
I'll give that a try, but here's another question. There's
A plug on the left side of the bike containing six wires. What is that for?

·
Registered
24 Posts
must be electrical id unplug any wires you put back together and replug might be dodgy contact especially round any alarm wires make sure there properly inserted into alarm, I take it your starting it with side stand in the up position and in nuetral

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
must be electrical id unplug any wires you put back together and replug might be dodgy contact especially round any alarm wires make sure there properly inserted into alarm, I take it your starting it with side stand in the up position and in nuetral
Yes, natural safety switch and kick stand switch both function properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Factory paint. Only thing that was grounded was the power commander. Which is powering on. Tail light assembly and the other plug which is located on the left side under the rear seat cowl were the only things unplugged. All of which have been checked.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
I don't know what that 6P connector is for.
Just because you see the PC run through it's self test, doesn't mean it's metering the fuel correctly.
On a sidenote, you should put dielectric grease on every electrical connection you inspect. I even put it on the blades of my fuses.

Good luck, this sounds perplexing. But I bet it turns out to be something that got overlooked when you reassembled.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, hooked my computer up to the power commander and everything seems correct. Map was still intact, could read throttle position, and can read RPM's so i know the crank sensor is functioning.

I even checked that mystery plug and none of the pins were bent over or pushed out. So im all out of ideas....

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Well, hooked my computer up to the power commander and everything seems correct. Map was still intact, could read throttle position, and can read RPM's so i know the crank sensor is functioning.

I even checked that mystery plug and none of the pins were bent over or pushed out. So im all out of ideas....

You did actually remove the PC though and the engine still won't fire?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
You know, all you have to do is unplug the harness connectors, right? You don't have to remove it. It'll take a few minutes to lift your gas tank, (that's where my harness connectors are-I'm assuming your's are too) but actually unplugging the harness will take about 15 seconds.
If that doesn't make any difference, then you have to get down to basics.
Are you getting spark to the plugs? A quick shot of starting fluid will help determine if you have fire.
Are you getting fuel flow, fuel to the injectors?
Is you FPR ok?
Cam pulse and ignition pulse generator connectors and wires ok? (a chaffed ignition pulse wire gave me a no start once)
Have you checked for any codes by jumping the service connector?
Does the MIL light up for a moment when you turn the key on and the kill switch is in the run position? It's supposed to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You know, all you have to do is unplug the harness connectors, right? You don't have to remove it. It'll take a few minutes to lift your gas tank, (that's where my harness connectors are-I'm assuming your's are too) but actually unplugging the harness will take about 15 seconds.
If that doesn't make any difference, then you have to get down to basics.
Are you getting spark to the plugs? A quick shot of starting fluid will help determine if you have fire.
Are you getting fuel flow, fuel to the injectors?
Is you FPR ok?
Cam pulse and ignition pulse generator connectors and wires ok? (a chaffed ignition pulse wire gave me a no start once)
Have you checked for any codes by jumping the service connector?
Does the MIL light up for a moment when you turn the key on and the kill switch is in the run position? It's supposed to.
Just to give an update, Power commander had failed causing the bike not to run. Nothing was done to cause any damage to the unit, it had just failed randomly.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
So ive finally had a chance to ride my bike since getting it running again. Another issue the bike will sometimes lose power around 9k RPM. No Engine lights on, the bike will start and idle like normal.

Sometimes?
Have you checked the charging system?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sometimes?
Have you checked the charging system?
The power loss is consistent. Always does it

I haven't checked the charging system.
But I rode the bike around tonight for about 25 miles. Seems to run normal at cruising rpms. When i get up to around 9K rpm it just stops. Even does it on a free rev just stops revving around 9K, almost like its hitting the rev limiter.

No FI light on or anything else.

Im more familiar with cars than bikes. Will they set "soft codes" where there is or was an issue but doesn't trip the CEL/FI light?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts