Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I'm really scratching my head on this one! My bike died on me about a month ago. I debugged it to the voltage regulator because my batteries were not getting charged. So one day while i was waiting for my regulator i decided to do an oil change. I fully charged my battery and bike started up without any problems. I rode up and down my subdivision for a couple minutes to warm up the oil. Did the filter and oil change and the next day my regulator came in the mail. I slapped the new one on and started it up. It started fine but i could tell something was wrong because it was running very ruff. I let it idle for a minute or so but then i had to start giving it gas to keep it from stalling. I tried to start it back up but its a no go. Tried a couple more times and then BANG....the biggest pop i ever head. I was scared i blew my engine so i stopped. I read a few forums and everyone said to check the spark plugs. I took my spark plugs out....and there was oil all over it. I cleaned out all my spark plugs.....put it back in and tried starting it. The first time it seemed like it was just about to start but then died again. Tried a few more times and the pop again. Here is what i think...

-Bad oil filter.
-Bad oil? I had about half a quart of left over oil from last year and i poured it in with 3 quarts of new oil i recently baught. Something tells me it has something to do with the oil because its the last thing i did. I did use the same type oil i always use and same brand also.
-Fuel. I took my gas tank off to clean the air filter but it ran fine for a while.
- Carbs.....please tell me its not so....

Please give any sugguestions....thanks guys...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I doubt it has anything to do with the oil or oil filter.
It could be bad fuel ie. contamination (water).
Worst case the regulator stops voltage spikes which could blow some thing on the ignition.
Hope thats some help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
one thing i forgot to mention is that the bike leaks a little bit of gas after i try to start it. How do i check to see if there is fuel getting to the carbs? I pretty sure its not a fuel problem because the last time i had it running it just sounded really rough. As if only a couple of the cylinders were firing. Is there an easy way to test the ignition to see if it does fire?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you checked the level of oil remaining in the bike since you notice the plugs covered in oil? There shouldnt be any oil on the plugs. That means oil is getting into your cylinders... Not good... You might have caused oil to blow by the pistons with whatever caused that "pop"... Id recommend taking it to a reputable shop and have them go through the bike to tell you EXACTLY whats wrong and fix it right. Best of luck to you on this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys....just wanted to let you know. I put new sets of spark plugs in and the bike started the first try! Just took it for a short ride. Regulator/rectifier seems to be good too...I'm back in business! Thanks for all your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts