Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:idunno: It started fine this morning. Went to start it later this evening and it just cranked. I tried it about 7 times. The tank had some gas in it, looked to be enough. I put a gallon in it from a gas can. Tried cranking it again, but the battery got real weak. THink it could just need a new battery? I was trying to work on the brakelight/blinker problem the other day, and just from a few minutes with the key on at a time, the batt. went dead. Put it on a charger at father in laws and got it home.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I say check for spark if you can get to the plugs. and after you charge the battery of course. The three things needed to run are ari, fuel, and spark. so try to check and see that you have all 3.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Charged the battery the day before, and only after about 10 total cranks today with no start, it went almost completely dead. I'm not sure if it means the battery's no good or what. It started this morning, on the second try.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well, ive had that happen, where i charge the battery...but then after cranking it a few times, the battery is just about flat. It seems to me that the battery dies rather quickly if cranking but not starting. I would suggest that if you can charge it and get it to start, that you use a volt meter to test the charging system...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly what would I need to test? I have a voltmeter, but where would I need to test to ensure it's working properly? Pictures would be great. First bike, trying to get it going.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I dont have any pics, but if you really need them i could probably get some. But all you have to do to test is take off the seat, and then put the voltmeter to the battery terminals. it should read somewhere between 12.50-13 volts. then, with the voltmeter still connected, start the bike, get it up to operating temp., turn the high beams on, and hold the throttle at 5,000 RPMs. the voltmeter should read between 14.50-15 volts. If all is well, ur charging system is good. :thumb:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, I don't need pics for that haha. Thanks. I'm charging the battery as we speak. IF it starts I will check the system, if not what do you suggest I check first? Plugs? Wires? Carbs?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would check the plugs.. Last week I had the same problem, it would crank but not start. I checked everything and of course last was the plugs. If you flood the carbs it will foul out the plugs thus not having any spark to start..
You can try pulling the plugs and cleaning them. But if it doesn't work you just wasted your time! If the bike is new you don't know how old the plugs are anyway so no harm no FOUL lol.. Good Luck

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it wasn't the battery. Fully charged, and it just cranked. LAst time trying to start it a few minutes ago, it popped. I guess I'll try the plugs tonight? Not sure what else it could be. Seems like it's not getting spark

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not even going to bother with the cleaning process. It's a used bike, might as well go for broke with some new plugs. Any plugs you reccommend?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got NGK Iridium's. Hope this fixes it. Got the necessary fairings off (so I think) Going to take the tank off and go from there. First time doing this, any helpful hints with the spark plugs?? Ive worked on cars forever, but to get to the plugs on this is different.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You have to remove the air box after the tank and then down the hole you go to get to the plugs have fun and hope it works for you.

O and make sure you talk good to it and rub it once or twice and I am shure the Honda in side will come out and it will run better then ever before.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool, I've been wanting to get to the air filter's anyway, SUpposedly it's K&N equipped. We'll see. And I've been a honda guy since I can remember. All my cars have been Honda. You have to spin a circle on one foot and tap your head while singing mary had a little lamb once your done to get the good honda mojo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts