Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
A wolf in sheep's clothing Ian, I have seen bikes that have been imported getting the wrong suffix letter on the registration plate , worst one was 10 years out, and they are handed out by the DVLA, but would have thought that anyone after one of these know what they are looking for (or hoped so);)

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Agree with above. Many of the imports come in as the overused 'barn find'. Some dealers that might be seen as questionable by some, will purposely post date a bike and invent a bunch of crap to deceive prospective customers. I was a recipient of this only recently when enquiring about an RVF400 'last run 2000 model'. My knowledge told me they were made only between 1994 - 1996. I later learnt that Japanese dealers had a glut of unsold RVFs up to 2001. Ref:
Honda RVF400 - Wikipedia

However, on phoning this dealer (knowing the Repsol fairings were Chinese by the way) I was told the factory 'made two other runs of the bike in 1997 and 1999.'

So, Ian, they is a lot of scope here to dud the unknowing. There is little scrutiny of detail provided by dealers to DVLA (registration authority). Another rort is of dealers selling, say, a 2017 Fireblade SP2 as a 2018, merely because it was registered in 2018. I have seen this occur on eBay.

And for @MrPickwick , correct that we would generally think that those looking for these bikes might know their stuff, but there might be many cases like myself who have reasonable knowledge of some series or years, but sparse in other eras. I truly am at a complete loss with the first generations through to 918s and concede I would have difficulty in identifying each from pictures. :( (Still wanta black and yellow '96 though!!:))

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
Agree with above. Many of the imports come in as the overused 'barn find'. Some dealers that might be seen as questionable by some, will purposely post date a bike and invent a bunch of crap to deceive prospective customers. I was a recipient of this only recently when enquiring about an RVF400 'last run 2000 model'. My knowledge told me they were made only between 1994 - 1996. I later learnt that Japanese dealers had a glut of unsold RVFs up to 2001. Ref:
Honda RVF400 - Wikipedia

However, on phoning this dealer (knowing the Repsol fairings were Chinese by the way) I was told the factory 'made two other runs of the bike in 1997 and 1999.'

So, Ian, they is a lot of scope here to dud the unknowing. There is little scrutiny of detail provided by dealers to DVLA (registration authority). Another rort is of dealers selling, say, a 2017 Fireblade SP2 as a 2018, merely because it was registered in 2018. I have seen this occur on eBay.

And for @MrPickwick , correct that we would generally think that those looking for these bikes might know their stuff, but there might be many cases like myself who have reasonable knowledge of some series or years, but sparse in other eras. I truly am at a complete loss with the first generations through to 918s and concede I would have difficulty in identifying each from pictures. :( (Still wanta black and yellow '96 though!!:))
Caveat emptor perhaps (y)

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Nige
Honda RVF400 - Wikipedia

Nigel, that would NEVER fly here in the US. Here, our registration plate has nothing to do with the bike itself, and everything is coded per the VIN. When it was first registered means nothing to the dealer or the buyer. That kind of prompted my question. Is it a dealer created falsity about the actual year of bikes, or a registry created misinterpretation? We know the VIN stickers even have the YEAR of MANUFACTURE right on it and although its the dealer's responsibility to complete the paperwork properly art the time of sale, I would imagine that errors happen. Our dealer to DMV transactions actually work pretty well.

I suppose it really is a cultural thing. I've never experienced a dealer here and/or our DMV getting a year wrong. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but our difference in the registration plate handling must be the catalyst.

And like I've said here before, you can query the VIN through your Honda dealer and find its "In Service Date", which is the date of its first sale. It's pretty neat to see that, engine number, recall work, original warranty term and original purchaser. This is such a report for Red Rocker. I learned its not the original engine, unfortunately. Or fortunately :)

41 - 44 of 44 Posts