Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone explain what the black stuff in the throttlebodies is please on the butterfly part. Its smeared on only 1 side of all 4 bodies. i.e at the tops

I cleaned the throttlebodies up today and this stuff came off in the process, Should i be worried or not?

Can this be reapplied if need be?

·
Banned
474 Posts
Too bad you didn't shoot a pic first. Show the part wiped? I'm going to take a guess.

1. A layer of slippery silicone as used for the piston skirts on some models? So in this case, a part is going to have a recess for this layer. Do you feel a step there as if something needs to be filled back in?

2. Carbon build? The intake and valves are at an overlap (both open at the same). So both fuel and spent are circulating at that time in the chamber. One is a liquid, the other a gas. Add, 'for every action' that air did get sucked in, but now it's a spit-back into the throttle body. What's left of you wiping off is a solid (black carbon soot-build)

3. Without a photo of the area... I don't see how/why they have a layer on a plate that is just in the way of air flow. The shafts I can see, but a fly?

·
Registered
717 Posts
It's a coating that is there to prevent wear of the butterflys. Same type as used on a piston skirts like Catch22 suggested. Many aftermarket firms have similar coatings to offer but it works with out them allso. Don't have any opinnion on how usefull it really is...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awww well its off now hahaha,figured it was crap that was building up so i spruced them up nice and clean. building the bike up now at a slow pace and making sure its looking very VERY VERY CLEAN!!!!

Starting to think i've got OCD.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,616 Posts
Awww well its off now hahaha,figured it was crap that was building up so i spruced them up nice and clean. building the bike up now at a slow pace and making sure its looking very VERY VERY CLEAN!!!!

Starting to think i've got OCD.
OCD comes out during bike builds/rebuilds. Welcome to the club :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts