Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to forum. Bought 02 954 2 years ago it has 33000 miles started kicking out black smoke when revving or hard acceleration. Replaced plugs they were moderately oily, and air filter. Been told It’s probably rings or valve seals. Is it worth replacing? If so what’s a ballpark cost? Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don’t know full history got bike for reasonable price from guy who just did have time for. He had for 3 years put 2000 mi on it. He said he was 3rd owner. Bike has/had few issues once weather gets warmer gonna ride to shop. Just kinda want an idea of what in for.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
It could also be a case of the bike just cleaning itself out as if some old fogey previously owned it and never went over 4,000 RPM. On that basis the black smoke could easily be carbon build up. If there's no rattles or noticeable performance probs, I'd wait for another couple of rides before becoming alarmed.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,862 Posts
Hi and welcome to Fireblades! Are there any mods to the bike? Power Commander, full exhaust, slip on? What kind of oil is being used?

It would probably be wise to give it a compression check, but for the sake of “what could you be in for”, worse case scenario with these old girls would be new pistons, rings, and a fresh cut on the cylinders with a coating from US Chrome. At least a grand. Worse case scenario.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No power commander, 2 brothers shorty slip on, Castrol power 1 10w-40. Yes I’ll have to get compression test. Really love the bike but I’m not skilled to do that kind of work myself. $1000 + is what I figured. Thanks for reply

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,862 Posts
As Nigel said, it could just need a “cleaning out” after sitting. How much riding have you done on it recently? And where are you located? Aside form the worst case scenario, it could just need its legs stretched for a bit

Some easy stuff out of the gate would be to just change the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) and get a power commander for it, if for no other reason than to get a decent fueling map on there. They do overall run way better with a good tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Massachusetts so it’s pretty cold up here. Rode to work and back the other day 60 miles first ride since September but was smoking then. So replaced plugs and air filter runs better but still get black smoke. Running rich could also be possible. Tested FPR no leak but that doesn’t necessarily that it’s functioning properly. Thats probably my next move. Like I said when weather gets better I’ll ride by shop see what mechanic says. Thanks for all info guys.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Typically black smoke is too much fuel (rich), blue smoke is oil. Have a close look to see which it is. You will burn oil and the level will go down over time.
If the air filter is clogged it may richen the mixture. The Fuel Pressure Regulator is worth a look as has been mentioned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys new to forum. Bought 02 954 2 years ago it has 33000 miles started kicking out black smoke when revving or hard acceleration. Replaced plugs they were moderately oily, and air filter. Been told It’s probably rings or valve seals. Is it worth replacing? If so what’s a ballpark cost? Thanks
Black/dark smoke is a rich tune. If it was rings or whatnot it would have a blueish tint. Do you smell oil? Or does the gas fumes hit you?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I live in Massachusetts so it’s pretty cold up here. Rode to work and back the other day 60 miles first ride since September but was smoking then. So replaced plugs and air filter runs better but still get black smoke. Running rich could also be possible. Tested FPR no leak but that doesn’t necessarily that it’s functioning properly. Thats probably my next move. Like I said when weather gets better I’ll ride by shop see what mechanic says. Thanks for all info guys.
I saw there any strange sounds? Knocking or tapping in the engine? That would be bad and more towards the burning oil side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No strange sounds. Don’t notice any oil consumption. There is a black carbon that coats end of exhaust. There is a funky smell to the exhaust but doesn’t smell like gas. I have the new FPR I’m gonna replace this morning. I’ll let you know. Thanks for replying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts