Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang

Need some expert advice here. I brought my 00 929RR out of winter storage and well after getting her up and going I realized when I open her up on the rear stand past 5000- 6000 RPM my pipe puffs out a small cloud of black smoke.

At first I maybe thought it was a spark plug problem, so after taking it apart I noticed the rubber seal on the 1st coil was finished and the coil was loose, so with the engines vibration it must of poped in and out. Also side note plugs 2-3 were still wet as if they weren't burning hot enough or correctly.

After buying new coils and correcting that problem (either way it had to be done) So with new coils in I can hear right off the bat a better sound and some improvement, but yet still get that puff of smoke after winding it past 6000RPM. So before I take her apart completly anybody might know whats
thethe problem?? Fu

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am absolutely no expert, however, you may want to take your fairings off and have a good look at the engine after it has been running and look for any signs of a coolant leak around the head gasket, if coolant is leaking out even in small amounts than there is a good chance that it is leaking inside as well. you can also drain your oil, if it looks cloudy then u may have a coolant leak that would cause black smoke.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am absolutely no expert, however, you may want to take your fairings off and have a good look at the engine after it has been running and look for any signs of a coolant leak around the head gasket, if coolant is leaking out even in small amounts than there is a good chance that it is leaking inside as well. you can also drain your oil, if it looks cloudy then u may have a coolant leak that would cause black smoke.
that would be a wite smoke not black. The black smoke is from running a bit rich (to much fuel) Not going to kill anything but you may not be running at peek power. It is better to run rich than lean.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Just give it a good run. You can't get a load on the motor while on the stand and it's too brief. Crap coming out of the pipes is common especially if the bike hasn't been flogged for a bit. Then see.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Just give it a good run. You can't get a load on the motor while on the stand and it's too brief. Crap coming out of the pipes is common especially if the bike hasn't been flogged for a bit. Then see.
I agree with Den, sounds perfectly normal to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.