Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody heard if the Blackbird engine will fit into a Blade? What's involved? How did it perform? Just curious about the bigger displacement engine. It seems a more reliable alternative to boring the stock motor out.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Interesting idea, but not too easy. Unfortunately the frames are not at all the same. You can get around that until you decide you want to have a swingarm. With the 929/954, the swingarm mounts to the motor, not the frame like the Blackbird.
I used to have a '00 blackbird and can tell you you would definately be happy with the smooth power it delivers if you do figure out a way to do it.
Remember, nothing is impossible...

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Yep... won't work on a 929/954 but it has been done on a earlier model that has a rolling chassis ('93-'99). There was someone on this board who did it, you might find it with a search but it may have been on the old forum.

Performance Bike had a feature on one a few years ago, the builder notched the frame to make the 1100 engine fit. They called the bike the Blackblade... PB ended up crashing the bike (as I recall).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! I forgot about the swingarm mounting directly to the tranny case. I don't fit on the Blackbird, the fairing hits my shins. I just asked because I was a bit curious about increasing the engine displacement.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
954teo : Thanks for the replies! I forgot about the swingarm mounting directly to the tranny case. I don't fit on the Blackbird, the fairing hits my shins. I just asked because I was a bit curious about increasing the engine displacement.
Unless you can engineer some way to make a XX/954 hybrid, your best bet will probably be to get a 980cc kit for your 954. (or get a CBR 1000RR next year)

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
I'm sure you could make it work, but you're going to have to do some real fabricating.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Owning both bikes---why would someone want to create such an abortion???

You either get an ill handling over weight 929---or a really raspy XX---I dont get it

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
On the other hand....a VFR motor in a 929 chassis would be the shizz.....

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you guys had of googled back then you would have found mine!!
it was built in 1998 and works very well to date!!!
its even seen the track a few times!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Question

Harris Magnum 5 with currently '93 fireblade 893 engine
The 2000 engines and later won't fit the frame

What Blackbird engine is compatable?
In other words I want more power, how?

Hope anyone can help

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Aside from NDM's post last year, this thread is 6 years old, doubt if they are still around

1 - 14 of 14 Posts